couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From ASF IRC Bot <asf...@urd.zones.apache.org>
Subject Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting
Date Wed, 26 Feb 2014 20:21:42 GMT
Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting at Wed Feb 26 19:12:09 2014:

Attendees: deathbear, awenkhh, davisp, Kxepal, bigbluehat, chewbranca

- Preface
- 1.6 release
  - Action: awenkhh check if 1986 is still actual on OS X and how recbuf fix affects on it
there
  - Link: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1986
- marketing
  - Link: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Promotion
  - Link: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Weekly+News
- BigCouch and rcouch merge
- L10n 
- cwiki
- cwiki
  - Action: Kxepal to push Fauxton review results to JIRA
  - Link: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/CouchDB+Home
  - Link: http://piratepad.net/n0pfiqDD9W


IRC log follows:

## Preface ##
## 1.6 release ##
[Wed Feb 26 19:12:53 2014] <Kxepal>: this would be most important one since we delayed
it by 3 months already
[Wed Feb 26 19:13:43 2014] <Kxepal>: the reason why was COUCHDB-1986 issue which makes
test suite fall on BSD systems: OS X and FreeBSD 10 for instance
[Wed Feb 26 19:14:04 2014] <Kxepal>: #link https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1986
[Wed Feb 26 19:14:48 2014] <Kxepal>: the hot fix was found recently (at least for freebsd):
there is need to increase recbuf value for mochiweb socket at least by 4 times
[Wed Feb 26 19:15:13 2014] <Kxepal>: the actual source of problem is still unknown
[Wed Feb 26 19:15:36 2014] <awenkhh>: there have been voices on the dev ml to not hold
the release back further
[Wed Feb 26 19:16:20 2014] <Kxepal>: so there is need to decide 1) would we ship 1.6
with such hot fix 2) where it will be defined. there are two options: patch mochiweb's define
and set this option in default.ini
[Wed Feb 26 19:16:55 2014] <Kxepal>: or 3) continue for debugging and stall release
for more
[Wed Feb 26 19:17:57 2014] <awenkhh>: Kxepal any idea if you can find the problem in
a reasonable short period of time?
[Wed Feb 26 19:18:02 2014] <Kxepal>: awenkhh: right, no hold the release. I could recall
that
[Wed Feb 26 19:18:28 2014] <Kxepal>: awenkhh: it's possible to fix it in a seconds
[Wed Feb 26 19:18:47 2014] <Kxepal>: awenkhh: btw. do you still have timeout issue on
mac?
[Wed Feb 26 19:19:04 2014] <awenkhh>: Kxepal: the last time I tested no
[Wed Feb 26 19:19:12 2014] <Kxepal>: with 1.6 branch?
[Wed Feb 26 19:19:20 2014] <Kxepal>: e.g. without Nick's patch
[Wed Feb 26 19:19:40 2014] <awenkhh>: iirc both fixes have been in it 
[Wed Feb 26 19:19:51 2014] <awenkhh>: Nick's and Benoit's
[Wed Feb 26 19:20:07 2014] <awenkhh>: I will retest it and report to @dev
[Wed Feb 26 19:21:27 2014] <Kxepal>: awenkhh: no, there are no his commits on 1.6 (according
quick log scan)
[Wed Feb 26 19:21:54 2014] <awenkhh>: sry ... I have to check this 
[Wed Feb 26 19:22:00 2014] <Kxepal>: awenkhh: yes, retest please and try to apply the
patch from comment on 1986
[Wed Feb 26 19:22:06 2014] <awenkhh>: ok
[Wed Feb 26 19:22:15 2014] <Kxepal>: I wonder how it will affect to you
[Wed Feb 26 19:22:37 2014] <awenkhh>: yes .. I will report ... 
[Wed Feb 26 19:22:58 2014] <Kxepal>: #action awenkhh check if 1986 is still actual on
OS X and how recbuf fix affects on it there
[Wed Feb 26 19:23:13 2014] <Kxepal>: thanks! (:
[Wed Feb 26 19:23:17 2014] <awenkhh>: :)
## marketing ##
[Wed Feb 26 19:23:51 2014] <awenkhh>: when done we should really decide to release 1.6
or not
[Wed Feb 26 19:24:05 2014] <Kxepal>: awenkhh, bigbluehat - that is yours topic (:
[Wed Feb 26 19:24:38 2014] <awenkhh>: we startet to setup the marketing activities
[Wed Feb 26 19:24:46 2014] <awenkhh>: *started
[Wed Feb 26 19:25:06 2014] <awenkhh>: there are already some notes in cwiki
[Wed Feb 26 19:26:06 2014] <awenkhh>: #link https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Promotion
[Wed Feb 26 19:26:16 2014] <awenkhh>: #link https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Weekly+News
[Wed Feb 26 19:26:43 2014] <awenkhh>: the idea is to start a list with recipients for
news 
[Wed Feb 26 19:27:03 2014] <awenkhh>: they should receive updates on a weekly basis
[Wed Feb 26 19:27:31 2014] <awenkhh>: nslater has also some staff info regarding this
in between the next days
[Wed Feb 26 19:27:31 2014] <Kxepal>: what about http://planet.couchdb.org/ and http://couchdbweekly.com/
?
[Wed Feb 26 19:27:44 2014] <awenkhh>: yeah - we need to reactivate them :)
[Wed Feb 26 19:27:57 2014] <bigbluehat>: yeah, anyone know how with the planet?
[Wed Feb 26 19:28:00 2014] <awenkhh>: so anyone is welcome to write blog posts 
[Wed Feb 26 19:28:08 2014] <bigbluehat>: pretty sure throwing something at dch is all
that’s needed for the couchdbweekly :)
[Wed Feb 26 19:28:20 2014] <bigbluehat>: +1 for some collaborative link/post sharing
thing
[Wed Feb 26 19:28:28 2014] <bigbluehat>: that we can then funnel the great stuff out
to press folks
[Wed Feb 26 19:28:37 2014] <bigbluehat>: + twitter + whatever
[Wed Feb 26 19:28:38 2014] <awenkhh>: yeah Dave will be back mid March
[Wed Feb 26 19:28:40 2014] <Kxepal>: bigbluehat: I dig into ML and found that jan____
what the guy who set it up (:
[Wed Feb 26 19:28:47 2014] <Kxepal>: s/what/was/
[Wed Feb 26 19:29:33 2014] <bigbluehat>: is it an Apache system? or something else?
[Wed Feb 26 19:29:37 2014] <bigbluehat>: as in ASF
[Wed Feb 26 19:29:40 2014] <awenkhh>: and not to forget about Ashley who wants to help
also
[Wed Feb 26 19:30:29 2014] <awenkhh>: I think we ares still in the setup stage but make
good progress
[Wed Feb 26 19:30:30 2014] <Kxepal>: I believe that it isn't ASF system: http://www.planetplanet.org/
[Wed Feb 26 19:31:00 2014] <bigbluehat>: yeah, I think keeping the stuff flowing through
marketing@ for now is best
[Wed Feb 26 19:31:01 2014] <Kxepal>: or may be it just hosted on ASF servers
[Wed Feb 26 19:31:10 2014] <awenkhh>: but http://planet.couchdb.org/ is ?
[Wed Feb 26 19:31:12 2014] <bigbluehat>: we may need to eventually setup a CouchDB marketing
project on Jira
[Wed Feb 26 19:31:18 2014] <bigbluehat>: or within Confluence once we’re over there
[Wed Feb 26 19:31:42 2014] <awenkhh>: bigbluehat sounds good!
[Wed Feb 26 19:31:57 2014] <bigbluehat>: let’s fork this https://github.com/glynnbird/birdreader
:)
[Wed Feb 26 19:32:31 2014] <bigbluehat>: we could change the UI a bit to focus on a
post-by-post reading experience that matches the planet style
[Wed Feb 26 19:32:43 2014] <awenkhh>: oh ... cool :)
[Wed Feb 26 19:32:44 2014] <bigbluehat>: + a page for people to request theirs be added—or
route them to marketing@ for doing that
[Wed Feb 26 19:35:46 2014] <Kxepal>: bigbluehat: interesting idea
[Wed Feb 26 19:37:11 2014] <bigbluehat>: tnx. :) I’ll explore it some more and propose
it on marketing@
[Wed Feb 26 19:37:57 2014] <awenkhh>: bigbluehat cool!
[Wed Feb 26 19:38:13 2014] <bigbluehat>: :D
[Wed Feb 26 19:38:20 2014] <bigbluehat>: k. we good on marketing@ discussion for now?
[Wed Feb 26 19:38:27 2014] <awenkhh>: yes
[Wed Feb 26 19:38:38 2014] <awenkhh>: next topic?
## BigCouch and rcouch merge ##
[Wed Feb 26 19:49:37 2014] <awenkhh>: davisp &| rnewson could you give some short
info 
[Wed Feb 26 19:51:22 2014] <davisp>: Most of the outstanding stuff is captured in the
JIRA BigCouch component here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB/component/12321810
[Wed Feb 26 19:51:27 2014] <davisp>: Anything you want to know in particular?
[Wed Feb 26 19:52:29 2014] <awenkhh>: I have already asked rnewson about the status
yesterday and I was wondering if it is possible to say how far you are ... just to get an
idea 
[Wed Feb 26 19:53:24 2014] <awenkhh>: I mean you have already made real great progress
what is awesome :)
## L10n  ##
[Wed Feb 26 19:57:27 2014] <awenkhh>: I have the feeling, that translating the docs
is on one hand hard and on the other hand not that much fun as some translators have expected
:)
[Wed Feb 26 19:57:55 2014] <awenkhh>: the progress is ok in the German lang but I can't
see that many progress in the other languages
[Wed Feb 26 19:58:48 2014] <awenkhh>: so we have to find a way to motivate the existing
translators more and expand the team also
[Wed Feb 26 19:59:37 2014] <awenkhh>: I hope I can work with Kxepal on integrating the
first translated pages (what will be German) soon
[Wed Feb 26 19:59:52 2014] <awenkhh>: and then adding a link to all pages in the docs
to the translation tool or somewhere eles
[Wed Feb 26 20:00:00 2014] <awenkhh>: *else
[Wed Feb 26 20:00:14 2014] <awenkhh>: that's the status so far from my side
## cwiki ##
## cwiki ##
[Wed Feb 26 20:04:58 2014] <awenkhh>:  the new wiki is here https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/CouchDB+Home
[Wed Feb 26 20:05:50 2014] <awenkhh>: there are already some pages but no structure
for now. Kxepal, bigbluehat and me are working on this here http://piratepad.net/n0pfiqDD9W
[Wed Feb 26 20:05:57 2014] <awenkhh>: #link https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/CouchDB+Home
[Wed Feb 26 20:06:05 2014] <awenkhh>: #link http://piratepad.net/n0pfiqDD9W
[Wed Feb 26 20:06:33 2014] <awenkhh>: everybody is invited to join the new wiki and
help transferring the contents from the old one 
[Wed Feb 26 20:06:54 2014] <awenkhh>: if you need rights for editing just pin nslater
Kxepal or awenkhh 
[Wed Feb 26 20:09:38 2014] <chewbranca>: awenkhh: not sure if deathbear or garren are
around to comment on Fauxton stuff
[Wed Feb 26 20:10:23 2014] <deathbear>: I don't really have anything to say about it.
 kxepal gave us a bunch of great feedback that we we going to start working on
[Wed Feb 26 20:10:35 2014] <deathbear>: and then we have a bunch of new stuff we are
starting to iterate on too
[Wed Feb 26 20:10:46 2014] <deathbear>: Garren is on vacation this week
[Wed Feb 26 20:11:15 2014] <awenkhh>: deathbear great - do you need any help?
[Wed Feb 26 20:12:48 2014] <deathbear>: kxepal said he'd make us jira tickets for the
issues that he found.  There are a bunch. We'll just plug away at them.
[Wed Feb 26 20:13:14 2014] <awenkhh>: deathbear ok great 
[Wed Feb 26 20:13:34 2014] <awenkhh>: Kxepal nearly done :) I tried to take your part
:) 
[Wed Feb 26 20:13:44 2014] <Kxepal>: deathbear: that's right. sorry, I was full in 1986
debugging
[Wed Feb 26 20:14:06 2014] <Kxepal>: #action Kxepal to push Fauxton review results to
JIRA
[Wed Feb 26 20:14:17 2014] <deathbear>: thanks Kxepal 
[Wed Feb 26 20:14:23 2014] <bigbluehat>: +1 Kxepal 
[Wed Feb 26 20:14:32 2014] <bigbluehat>: let me know if you need help with those
[Wed Feb 26 20:16:01 2014] <Kxepal>: bigbluehat: thanks, but I think no need any. it's
quite routine work
[Wed Feb 26 20:17:02 2014] <bigbluehat>: cool.
[Wed Feb 26 20:20:29 2014] <Kxepal>: ASFBot: meeting end


Meeting ended at Wed Feb 26 20:20:29 2014

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/mixed (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message