couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Mutton, James" <jmut...@akamai.com>
Subject Re: improve the bigcouch and rcouch merges
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2014 17:47:39 GMT
The whole escript then erl regenerating the appconfig thing kind of makes
me gag a bit (then again, I have 2 sick kids downstairs).  IMHO, that
feels like the wrong direction to make it "easier".  Why not have the
app.config exist simply to tell the config module where/how to get its
config data, the default being INI.  There's a function inside config to
parse_ini file, that could just as easily be parse_json (I always wondered
why it wasn't JSON) or parse_app_env, and which one it uses is passed in
the OTP way through couch.config.  This way someone can dynamically inject
which mode they need/want, including things we haven't thought of, or not
touch it and have it behave the same way it does today.  Sane defaults
could be supplied in one location via an include (config.hrl).

The INI configuration as it stands today is quite helpful in that it
doesn't require non-erlangers to be forced subtly into erlang in order to
use couch and it's readily parse-able by other languages.

</JamesM>