couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: Committer questions
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 07:24:59 GMT
On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Nick North <north.n@gmail.com> wrote:
> First I'm wondering about when it's OK to push work to the Apache
> repository. If you put out a non-controversial GitHub pull request, and
> there are no negative comments after a reasonable time, is it then fine to
> push it and merge to master, or does it need more positive confirmation?
> I'm hoping it's OK to go ahead, but don't want to raise the wrath of group
> by pushing code that needs more review.

I would say it's definitely okay to go ahead most of the time -- if
you spend a lot of time waiting for positive confirmation, the process
is broken. Obviously it depends on the size and impact of the thing,
but we trust you to assess that accurately (and we can always back
something out!).

> When merging a feature branch to merge to master should you use --no-ff?

I think rebasing feature branches onto master is nice, except perhaps
in the case of very large feature branches where merging is easier
and/or it makes sense to make the conflict resolution from the merge
somehwat more explicit. (I'm not quite sure what the --no-ff thing
does, still, so I prefer to talk in terms of rebasing versus
merging... merging is going on either way).

> Are there times when you shouldn't merge to master? At the moment the 1.6
> release is underway, but I assume that pushing to master is still OK, as
> there is a separate release branch, so it feels as if it should be fine to
> merge code as soon s it's ready. Or is that too optimistic?

If we're close to branching for release, don't push a big fat possibly
destabilizing thing. Otherwise, you're okay. :)

At least, that's my read on things. Please document consensussy things
on the wiki!

Cheers,

Dirkjan