couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>
Subject Re: Top posting in threads on the list's
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 09:38:29 GMT
Sorry for an extensive, point-by-point response, I promise I'm done
with this subject now...

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Paul Davis
<paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:16 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> +1. Top posting is the worst.
>>
>> In case you're being sarcastic (which seems likely), perhaps that is
>> not the most productive response to a fairly low-key, open email. If
>> you disagree, you could just say so and maybe explain why you think
>> top-posting is as good or better...
>
> Given the low-key and open email I didn't think a humorous response
> would be frowned upon.

It read to me as rather passive-aggressive, that's why I asked.

> posting. Given that we're a mailing list I really do prefer inline
> posting much more than strict top or bottom. If I'm replying
> generally, I top post and rely on non dumb clients hiding quoted text.
> If I'm replying point-by-point I inline post. Yes it makes reading a
> single email from a long thread a bit more difficult but who cares
> when we have public archives? If I get confused following a thread
> there's an exact record of who said what. Alternatively I can just hit
> reply and ask the original authors if a reply was confused somehow.

I very much agree on inline posting. The problem with top-posting as I
see it is mostly, that "replying generally" almost always isn't;
especially not if the mail you're replying to was longer than a few
emails. In those case, top-posting makes it quite hard to see what
point you're actually responding to.

> And then there's all the points raised by Nick in this thread about
> clients that promote top posting due to interface, whether that be
> difficult scrolling on a phone or GMail's compose windows.

I think Nick's comments are completely reasonable, but I think they
mostly agree with Andy's initial request saying "I would be happy if
you just keep it in mind".

> That said, making an off hand joke was probably a much more efficient
> method to express how much I don't have an opinion on this issue.

It may have been efficient for you with your high bandwidth interface
to your own brain, it certainly wasn't efficient for me.

Cheers,

Dirkjan