couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: third-party products and git submodules
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2014 10:51:20 GMT
On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Robert Samuel Newson <rnewson@apache.org>wrote:

> I think the source code has to be present in our repository directly (and
> then only if the licenses are compatible, which seems to be the case for
> the two you mention). Given that git submodules are pretty nasty to work
> with and the subtree merge that is the recommended alternative will include
> the code directly, the path forward seems clear.
>
> For example, I imported rebar into the bigcouch merge branch using 'git
> read-tree --prefix=src/rebar/ -u rebar' where the 'rebar' branch was a
> verbatim upstream rebar branch.
>
> B.

Thanks for your answer :)

I am not sure if all the code has to be in our source repository. When you
look at Hadoop for example it is using mvn as a build tool and is
downloading some packages on installation. Probably a lot of other code are
doing that. We are already doing that somehow when it's about building the
doc or fauxton from sources anyway. In that cases ICU and Spidermonkey are
only used at build time to provide static libs.

I thought to subtree merges too but this MPL1.1 license can be a problem in
my understanding (maybe we should ask to legal@) . The other problem I see
is the size of the archive at the end. ICU is large [1].

For now it's not blocking me, I will start with the submodules and not ship
them on release, letting the user downloading first by running
`make submodules` first. That when he's not choosing to use an already
installed lib. But if we come to a simpler way to do that, it would be good
:)

- benoit

[1] https://github.com/refuge/icu42