couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: why couch_index is in its own folder
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:34:23 GMT
On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>wrote:

> Originally I intended for other indexers to be callback behaviors
> loaded into couch_index. Since writing that code though I've come to
> the conclusion that its not the best approach. If you want to collapse
> it somewhere I'd collapse it back into couch_mrview and undo some of
> the abstractions.
>
> As to collapsing it into the main couch application that makes no
> sense seeing as the entire point of pulling it out was to remove the
> dependency of the main couch application on indexers.

But right now all_docs is also in couch_index, which makes it difficult to
completely separate from couch. So it would also require to put some code
back in couch imo.

Another thing that is not quite clear is how to have  couch_index_server to
resist to the couch application restart or crash. When it crashes (or
restart in test) the notifier hangs and the couch_index_server exit:

https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/src/couch_index/src/couch_index_server.erl#L127

I am not quite sure how to make it more resilient at this point. Any idea?

- benoit