couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb pull request: SOCKS 5 support for replication
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 05:57:18 GMT
Totally +1 to have such features in couchdb, which is what I suggested on
IRC.

I made a quick review, comments are following:

- Why not using the version already available in iBrowse upstream:

https://github.com/cmullaparthi/ibrowse/blob/master/src/ibrowse_socks5.erl

Like I said on IRC it is not correct and doesn't offer ssl upgrade like
your module (or the one I did in hackney) but wouldn't it be better to
support the upstream version by patching it? At least to start from it?

- The current patch only connect to a proxy using the domain resolution
which is not possible in every case. The module should also provide a
direct connection using an  IPV6 ro IPV4 address. Something like:

https://github.com/benoitc/hackney/blob/master/src/hackney_socks5.erl#L180

can be added here:

https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/125/files#diff-e86abc9dc33f7a1a35b55861f001470fR79

- Right now the proposed solution only check the first bits of the final
response in the handshake and doesn't check if it get  valid response
returning a domain or ipv6/v4 depending. Not sure if it's needed but maybe
we should check it:

https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/125/files#diff-e86abc9dc33f7a1a35b55861f001470fR83