couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trying to build 1.6.0-rc.1
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:41:00 GMT
On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fixed in http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/commit/f0425383
>>
>> Dirkjan, try it now - there shouldn't be any issues
>
> Awesome!
>
> That's a pretty obscure fix, though. Do you have any details on what
> went wrong and why this fixes it?

I think this page explains the change:

http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_chapter/Formats.html

> v7
> Archive format, compatible with the V7 implementation of tar. This format imposes a number
of limitations. The most important of them are:

> 1. The maximum length of a file name is limited to 99 characters.
> This format has traditionally been used by Automake when producing Makefiles. This practice
will change in the future, in the meantime, however this means that projects containing file
names more than 99 characters long will not be able to use GNU tar 1.27 and Automake prior
to 1.9.

And this is our ustar fix:

> ustar
>
> Archive format defined by POSIX.1-1988 specification. It stores symbolic ownership information.
It is also able to store special files. However, it imposes several restrictions as well:

> 1. The maximum length of a file name is limited to 256 characters, provided that the
file name can be split at a directory separator in two parts, first of them being at most
155 bytes long. So, in most cases the maximum file name length will be shorter than 256 characters.
> 2. The maximum length of a symbolic link name is limited to 100 characters.
> 3. Maximum size of a file the archive is able to accommodate is 8GB
> 4. Maximum value of UID/GID is 2097151.
> 5. Maximum number of bits in device major and minor numbers is 21.

According last paragraph for v7 format, I think we'd hit this issue on
Gentoo due to stable app-arch/tar package - it's 1.26 while 1.27.x are
marked as unstable:

$ tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.26

$ eix app-arch/tar
[I] app-arch/tar
     Available versions:  1.26-r1{tbz2} ~1.27-r2 ~1.27.1 ~1.27.1-r1
     Installed versions:  1.26-r1{tbz2}(07:08:33 PM 10/08/2013)(nls
-minimal -static -xattr USERLAND="GNU")

While others distros seems are providing more recent version of tar.
However, I didn't run any tests to proof this fact and tar-1.27 change
log has no mentions about related change, but I have no any other
explanation of such behaviour for now.

--