couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Sue <deathbearbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: fauxton: why backbone?
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2014 17:48:21 GMT
The backbone choice as already made before I came onto the project, but
after working with it over the past year I love it.

I wouldn't actually call Backbone a framework. It's more like a utility
library for making your own framework. There are plugins you can get like
Marionette, which will give you more robust features. Alone, it's very
small and simple.

If you're looking for ideas of what to use on your own project, I think it
all depends on what you are planning to build and the skillsets of your
team. There is nothing wrong with using Angular.js or Ember.js to build an
app.

Angular is very easy to use and requires little ramp up time for developers
of all skill levels. Angular comes with databinding which is great.  It's
very focused on DOM manipulation.  I want to say it's very 'jQuery'-like,
but as a metaphor for how easy it is for someone to use it.

Backbone + underscore/lodash is more focused on data manipulation. I know
that Russell was drawn to it at from the begining because it's very
unopinionated about how you write your code. When you start building with
it, you'll notice that no one does things the same way, which can be very
frustrating when you're new and trying to figure things out.  I recomend
that you just read the documentation & the source code.

If you do decide you want to use backbone, Garren and I can give you some
tips on best practices and good js patterns to use.