couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <a...@nms.de>
Subject Re: Top posting in threads on the list's
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 09:49:46 GMT
It's cool to read all your thoughts about this. Thanks!

On 23 January 2014 10:38, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> Sorry for an extensive, point-by-point response, I promise I'm done
> with this subject now...
>
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Paul Davis
> <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:16 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> In case you're being sarcastic (which seems likely), perhaps that is
> >> not the most productive response to a fairly low-key, open email. If
> >> you disagree, you could just say so and maybe explain why you think
> >> top-posting is as good or better...
> >
> > Given the low-key and open email I didn't think a humorous response
> > would be frowned upon.
>
> It read to me as rather passive-aggressive, that's why I asked.
>
> > posting. Given that we're a mailing list I really do prefer inline
> > posting much more than strict top or bottom. If I'm replying
> > generally, I top post and rely on non dumb clients hiding quoted text.
> > If I'm replying point-by-point I inline post. Yes it makes reading a
> > single email from a long thread a bit more difficult but who cares
> > when we have public archives? If I get confused following a thread
> > there's an exact record of who said what. Alternatively I can just hit
> > reply and ask the original authors if a reply was confused somehow.
>
> I very much agree on inline posting. The problem with top-posting as I
> see it is mostly, that "replying generally" almost always isn't;
> especially not if the mail you're replying to was longer than a few
> emails. In those case, top-posting makes it quite hard to see what
> point you're actually responding to.
>
> > And then there's all the points raised by Nick in this thread about
> > clients that promote top posting due to interface, whether that be
> > difficult scrolling on a phone or GMail's compose windows.
>
> I think Nick's comments are completely reasonable, but I think they
> mostly agree with Andy's initial request saying "I would be happy if
> you just keep it in mind".

mission accomplished.

> > That said, making an off hand joke was probably a much more efficient
> > method to express how much I don't have an opinion on this issue.
>
> It may have been efficient for you with your high bandwidth interface
> to your own brain, it certainly wasn't efficient for me.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dirkjan

I agree with Paul, that it's hard to find the best way. But I do think
there should be at least a best practice. Maybe like this:

# +1 for a short summary on top and I suggest to bottom post, if no
inlining is needed.
# +1 for inlining.
# +1 in reading with the RFC Benoit posted.
# remember to not delete important stuff to be able to follow the discussion

At the end, it is good to spend some minutes and think about the points
here in this thread.

Thanks to all!

Cheers
--