couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <a...@nms.de>
Subject Re: Committer questions
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2014 17:12:15 GMT
Hi Nick,

On 19 January 2014 14:57, Nick North <north.n@gmail.com> wrote:

> After reading Andy Wenk's really helpful Committer First
> Steps<https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Committer_First_Steps>guide, I
> feel pretty well informed on submitting code CouchDb code, but I
> have just a few questions on commit etiquette (commitiquette?). I'm sure
> most of these are very obvious to more experienced users, so please bear
> with me while I sort out my initial misconceptions.

really glad, that the Wiki page is helpful. As the document is WIP, it
would be awesome when you put the answers to your questions into the doc to
let others also participate from.

> First I'm wondering about when it's OK to push work to the Apache
> repository. If you put out a non-controversial GitHub pull request, and
> there are no negative comments after a reasonable time, is it then fine to
> push it and merge to master, or does it need more positive confirmation?
> I'm hoping it's OK to go ahead, but don't want to raise the wrath of group
> by pushing code that needs more review.

If you are 100% sure, that your work is what it should be, simply push it
to master. I think this is ok for smaller changes. Bigger changes or work
should be placed in a feature-branch. When ready, simply drop a note at
@dev and wait for response. Or you can also make a PR at github. Merging
the PR into master is super simple. When other devs gave their +1, merge
your  feature-branch into master.

> When merging a feature branch to merge to master should you use --no-ff?

I think it's best practice to first rebase master into your feature-branch
and then merge the feature-branch into master. If doing so, there is
obviously no need to set --no-ff

> Are there times when you shouldn't merge to master? At the moment the 1.6
> release is underway, but I assume that pushing to master is still OK, as
> there is a separate release branch, so it feels as if it should be fine to
> merge code as soon s it's ready. Or is that too optimistic?

It is always ok to push to master because, as you said, there is an extra
release branch. But to be 100% sure, I would like to ask Dirkjan (ping :) )
about this.

Let's wait for some other feedback but I guess that should answer your
questions and as mentioned before, it would be super cool, when you add
these to the WIKI page :) - when confirmed :)

Cheers

Andy

--
Andy Wenk