couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <>
Subject Re: we need more reviews
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 14:04:46 GMT
On 20 January 2014 14:11, Benoit Chesneau <> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Andy Wenk <> wrote:
>> awesome to start this discussion. It was just some hours ago, that Hank
>>  Knight exactly asked these questions. I am +1 on defining guidelines to
>> describe the process. It would not be the biggest problem to install
>> gerrit
>> ( as a review system somewhere but I
>> would like to ask if it is also ok to use the PR queue like Dale wrote
>> above. I think the process is well known and learned. The only big
>> difference is that it is still possible to push to master without review
>> and PR's. But I don't see a problem to establish a review process with
>> PR's
>> when we define easy guidelines.
> I looked recently at Gerrit for the refuge project and really liked what I
> see, with the github bridge it would offer a cool solution. Also gerrit is
> already in use in some apache projects I think.
> A word to git commit messages. If you want to read really informative
>> commit messages as an example, juts look at the PostgreSQL project.
>> Especially Tom Lane is writing awesome messages. So I am +100 to
>> informative and meaningful commit messages.
> Do you have some example that you could link? I wonder if for the
> guideline we couldn't collect some examples from different projects.

yes sure. Here is the summary of the latest PostgreSQL commits:;a=summary

and here one (just out of many) from Tom:;a=commitdiff;h=115f414124e71749d2d8f512e469ca63bc2166e5

I don't mean that we should write a novel in the commit message but when I
speak about commit messages, I always bring the example of Tom (and others
at PG) and state, that one could write an awesome documentation simply out
of the commit messages :)

A good way between short messages and novels would be great I think ...

Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany