couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: improve the bigcouch and rcouch merges
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2014 14:27:26 GMT
On Jan 22, 2014, at 9:13 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Agree, great discussion here.  I will say that I think the INI
>> configuration system is quite nice, and that I'd love to see couch_config /
>> config gain wider adoption as an alternative to using OTP application
>> environments (of course we should still make the INI file itself optional
>> by embedding the defaults in the code).  I'd also say that the fabric.erl
>> interface has a number of warts that I'd love to clean up sometime.
>>

> What about having something like cuttlefish [1] from Basho. But instead to
> compile from a nginx like format to erlang config file we compile from ini
> files? In that case couchdb will have only to fetch the config using Erlang
> config system.
>
> - benoit
>
> [1] https://github.com/basho/cuttlefish

I suppose that could work.  I found the restriction of keys as atoms in the Erlang application
environment constraining, but I guess config sections could always be implemented using dotted
notation like application:get_env(couch, 'database_compaction.doc_buffer_size').  I'd probably
still prefer a wrapper around the raw interface to do things like supplying a default value
if the environment doesn't contain one.

Adam