couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From ASF IRC Bot <asf...@urd.zones.apache.org>
Subject Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2014 20:13:50 GMT
Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting at Wed Jan 22 19:17:23 2014:

Attendees: kocolosk, awenkhh, bigbluehat, dch, Kxepal

- Preface
- 1.6 release
  - Action: kocolosk and/or Kxepal will try to look and solve COUCHDB-1986 issue
  - Action: ask djc about possibility to backport COUCHDB-2031 fix from master to 1.6.x branch
- rcouch/bigcouch merge
- reviews
  - Action: all devs to leave you opinion about how you'd like to see this process
  - Action: bigbluehat to investigate question about integration of GH PR comments with ASF
ML
- fosdem
- reviews
  - Action: awenkhh will write an basic workflow after bigbluehat has the first things found
out
- goals 2014


IRC log follows:

## Preface ##
[Wed Jan 22 19:18:24 2014] <Kxepal>: topics so far: 1.6 release, rcouch/bigcouch merge
status, reviews, fosdem, goals for 2014
## 1.6 release ##
[Wed Jan 22 19:19:13 2014] <Kxepal>: #link http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg29668.html
[Wed Jan 22 19:19:29 2014] <kocolosk>: wondering about backporting COUCHDB-2031 to 1.6.x
[Wed Jan 22 19:19:29 2014] <Kxepal>: votes for 1.6-rc1 already started!
[Wed Jan 22 19:19:31 2014] <Kxepal>: but...
[Wed Jan 22 19:19:39 2014] <Kxepal>: #link https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1986
[Wed Jan 22 19:20:04 2014] <awenkhh>: yeah - the last answer was alos -1 from dch 
[Wed Jan 22 19:20:12 2014] <kocolosk>: I said I would look at COUCHDB-1986 last week,
but I didn't --sorry
[Wed Jan 22 19:20:23 2014] <Kxepal>: 1986 issue breaks make distcheck for at least FreeBSD
and MacOSX
[Wed Jan 22 19:20:35 2014] <kocolosk>: ACTION nods
[Wed Jan 22 19:20:37 2014] <awenkhh>: correct
[Wed Jan 22 19:20:58 2014] <awenkhh>: the good thing is ... it's the only issue :)
[Wed Jan 22 19:21:05 2014] <Kxepal>: kocolosk: do you have some time to look on this?
[Wed Jan 22 19:21:41 2014] <Kxepal>: I could do this by myself, but I'm on linux where
"everything works fine"
[Wed Jan 22 19:21:50 2014] <dch>: hey
[Wed Jan 22 19:21:57 2014] <Kxepal>: dch: hello!
[Wed Jan 22 19:22:01 2014] <dch>: Kxepal: I can provide freebsd or OSX access if reqd
[Wed Jan 22 19:22:37 2014] <Kxepal>: dch: remote access or virtual image?
[Wed Jan 22 19:22:57 2014] <kocolosk>: Kxepal: it's on my queue, but I'm not sure if
I'll have cycles today
[Wed Jan 22 19:23:20 2014] <dch>: Kxepal: real access, FreeBSD is easiest (hardware),
and OSX I can provide access to a Lion VM over ssh again.
[Wed Jan 22 19:24:22 2014] <Kxepal>: kocolosk: I think day or two doesn't makes a sense
for now, so no worries
[Wed Jan 22 19:24:37 2014] <Kxepal>: dch: oh, great! I'll ping you privately after meeting
for credentials, ok?
[Wed Jan 22 19:24:52 2014] <Kxepal>: not sure that will have a success, but I'll try
(:
[Wed Jan 22 19:26:34 2014] <Kxepal>: #action kocolosk and/or Kxepal will try to look
and solve COUCHDB-1986 issue
[Wed Jan 22 19:28:28 2014] <kocolosk>: #link https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-2031
[Wed Jan 22 19:28:39 2014] <Kxepal>: kocolosk: ah..I think since 1.6 is "broken" may
be it will be possible to backport COUCHDB-2031 to it
[Wed Jan 22 19:29:31 2014] <kocolosk>: it seemed that PouchDB found a workaround
[Wed Jan 22 19:29:33 2014] <Kxepal>: anyway, I'm +1 to have it
[Wed Jan 22 19:29:35 2014] <dch>: up to djc as the RM
[Wed Jan 22 19:29:41 2014] <kocolosk>: agreed
[Wed Jan 22 19:29:41 2014] <dch>: but yes, makes sense
[Wed Jan 22 19:30:16 2014] <Kxepal>: #action ask djc about possibility to backport COUCHDB-2031
fix from master to 1.6.x branch
## rcouch/bigcouch merge ##
[Wed Jan 22 19:31:55 2014] <Kxepal>: #link some more news about: http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg29652.html
[Wed Jan 22 19:33:34 2014] <Kxepal>: also davisp prepared multiple of git repositories
for each CouchDB component
[Wed Jan 22 19:33:53 2014] <Kxepal>: #link http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg29568.html
[Wed Jan 22 19:36:31 2014] <kocolosk>: this week on the ML we discussed an order of
operations / priority for the merge.  General thinking is to focus on items that allow us
to merge the code sooner, and then iterate on enhancements and fixes (some of which may be
necessary to e.g. release a version of CouchDB withh clustering) using smaller more focused
topic branches
[Wed Jan 22 19:39:53 2014] <kocolosk>: [ok]
## reviews ##
[Wed Jan 22 19:41:08 2014] <Kxepal>: #link http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg29710.html
[Wed Jan 22 19:41:42 2014] <Kxepal>: recently on ML was raised (again) question about
having more and better code reviews
[Wed Jan 22 19:42:23 2014] <Kxepal>: #action all devs to leave you opinion about how
you'd like to see this process
[Wed Jan 22 19:42:49 2014] <awenkhh>: I saw two points in this discussion 
[Wed Jan 22 19:42:59 2014] <awenkhh>: 1. review via PR
[Wed Jan 22 19:43:07 2014] <awenkhh>: 2. review via a tool like Gerrit
[Wed Jan 22 19:43:42 2014] <awenkhh>: out of my experience the PR way is easy and is
feasible
[Wed Jan 22 19:43:52 2014] <awenkhh>: gerrit is more strict 
[Wed Jan 22 19:44:19 2014] <awenkhh>: so during the discussion I proposed to try to
review everything via PR's
[Wed Jan 22 19:44:35 2014] <awenkhh>: what do the others think?
[Wed Jan 22 19:44:47 2014] <Kxepal>: +1 for github, but the main problem with him that
reviews comments are not sent to dev@
[Wed Jan 22 19:45:04 2014] <Kxepal>: and it's not possible to reply on them via dev@
ML
[Wed Jan 22 19:45:05 2014] <dch>: awenkhh: my 0.02c here is that this is a classic case
of waiting for a decision. I saw no strenuous objections, and I suggest you write up a basic
workflow on the wiki, and prod people to use it.
[Wed Jan 22 19:45:22 2014] <bigbluehat>: yeah…lots of conversations happening on PR’s
outside of Jira
[Wed Jan 22 19:45:27 2014] <bigbluehat>: would be slick to combine them somehow
[Wed Jan 22 19:45:34 2014] <dch>: thinking of that classic quote about asking for forgiveness
& not permission...
[Wed Jan 22 19:45:52 2014] <Kxepal>: I wonder if Humbedooh has any solution...
[Wed Jan 22 19:46:01 2014] <awenkhh>: hm .. is there a way to improve that?
[Wed Jan 22 19:46:09 2014] <awenkhh>: Kxepal ... yeah godd idea :)
[Wed Jan 22 19:46:45 2014] <awenkhh>: dch I will think about that and if I have a good
idea :)
[Wed Jan 22 19:46:50 2014] <bigbluehat>: there is a Jira Service Hook for Github…so
in theory...
[Wed Jan 22 19:47:00 2014] <awenkhh>: "and see if I have a good idea"
[Wed Jan 22 19:47:19 2014] <bigbluehat>: additionally, GH can/could email the mailing
list when PRs come in (and/or on every comment…might get chatty, though)
[Wed Jan 22 19:47:57 2014] <Kxepal>: actually, it does: GH sends a mail when PR is opened
and closed
[Wed Jan 22 19:48:07 2014] <awenkhh>: bigbluehat any experience with the Hook? Do you
know how to set this up?
[Wed Jan 22 19:48:34 2014] <bigbluehat>: we’d need to have access to the Jira API
[Wed Jan 22 19:48:40 2014] <bigbluehat>: not sure if that’s setup on the apache one
or not
[Wed Jan 22 19:48:51 2014] <bigbluehat>: but it would allow us to reference issues,
and such
[Wed Jan 22 19:49:00 2014] <bigbluehat>: ACTION gets some links
[Wed Jan 22 19:49:03 2014] <dch>: bigbluehat: if you’re interested in this, best to
talk to Humbedooh on IRC and find out more. 
[Wed Jan 22 19:49:44 2014] <bigbluehat>: here’s the basics https://github.com/github/github-services/blob/master/docs/jira
[Wed Jan 22 19:49:54 2014] <dch>: and if you want anything set up within the couchdb
jira project itself, I’m happy to help out (my knowledge is very limited though)
[Wed Jan 22 19:49:55 2014] <bigbluehat>: I’m interested in having it be better :)
[Wed Jan 22 19:50:04 2014] <bigbluehat>: happy to help where I can if help on that front
is needed
[Wed Jan 22 19:50:28 2014] <bigbluehat>: at this point a test run of the Service Hook
per that above readme would be good
[Wed Jan 22 19:50:46 2014] <bigbluehat>: not something I can do…but once it’s tested,
then a brief (hehe) discussion of it on the ML and ship that thang ;)
[Wed Jan 22 19:50:52 2014] <bigbluehat>: …or something like it :)
[Wed Jan 22 19:51:30 2014] <Kxepal>: bigbluehat: you link looks like about closing jira
tickets via gh commits. I wonder if it will also handle PR comments
[Wed Jan 22 19:51:30 2014] <awenkhh>: bigbluehat sounds great ! I would like to take
the documentation bits in the wiki then :)
[Wed Jan 22 19:52:00 2014] <Kxepal>: *your
[Wed Jan 22 19:52:49 2014] <Kxepal>: anyway, bigbluehat would you like to investigate
this question?
[Wed Jan 22 19:53:16 2014] <bigbluehat>: ah, good question
[Wed Jan 22 19:53:22 2014] <bigbluehat>: Kxepal: I’m up for that, yes
[Wed Jan 22 19:53:39 2014] <Kxepal>: bigbluehat: great! thanks(:
[Wed Jan 22 19:53:47 2014] <awenkhh>: bigbluehat cool :)
[Wed Jan 22 19:53:54 2014] <bigbluehat>: want an email to the list on my findings?
[Wed Jan 22 19:54:13 2014] <awenkhh>: bigbluehat that would be great!
[Wed Jan 22 19:54:22 2014] <Kxepal>: #action bigbluehat to investigate question about
integration of GH PR comments with ASF ML
[Wed Jan 22 19:54:35 2014] <bigbluehat>: perfect
## fosdem ##
[Wed Jan 22 19:55:44 2014] <Kxepal>: #link https://fosdem.org/2014/
[Wed Jan 22 19:56:31 2014] <Kxepal>: if you're will be there, make sure to ping @benoitc
about!
## reviews ##
[Wed Jan 22 19:57:20 2014] <Kxepal>: #action awenkhh will write an basic workflow after
bigbluehat has the first things found out
## goals 2014 ##
[Wed Jan 22 19:57:49 2014] <Kxepal>: #link http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg29713.html
[Wed Jan 22 19:58:05 2014] <awenkhh>: who's attending Fosdem?
[Wed Jan 22 19:58:50 2014] <Kxepal>: awenkhh: afaik benoitc, djc. but not sure
[Wed Jan 22 19:59:01 2014] <awenkhh>: ok 
[Wed Jan 22 20:01:05 2014] <Kxepal>: while we have not much goals for 2014, but they
are very important and the biggest one is rcouch/bigcouch merge
[Wed Jan 22 20:03:19 2014] <bigbluehat>: the merger is a huge one…that and plugins
[Wed Jan 22 20:03:40 2014] <Kxepal>: oh, plugins! yes
[Wed Jan 22 20:04:00 2014] <awenkhh>: yeah plugins will be cool - I already tried something
out ... nice!
[Wed Jan 22 20:04:01 2014] <Kxepal>: goals thread is needed to be updated for more details
(:
[Wed Jan 22 20:04:03 2014] <bigbluehat>: I also think discussion/designing a 2.0 API
could fit into that
[Wed Jan 22 20:04:13 2014] <bigbluehat>: likely via experimental plugins
[Wed Jan 22 20:04:21 2014] <bigbluehat>: +1 on a thread about this
[Wed Jan 22 20:04:25 2014] <bigbluehat>: this == goals (sorry)
[Wed Jan 22 20:04:28 2014] <awenkhh>: wouldn't it be great to have 2.0 after the merger?
[Wed Jan 22 20:04:43 2014] <awenkhh>: and plugins 
[Wed Jan 22 20:05:01 2014] <bigbluehat>: yeah, any API changes, though, would mandate
a major point release
[Wed Jan 22 20:05:17 2014] <bigbluehat>: but I don’t think there’s any problem with
a 3.0 following (if need be) to implement a new API
[Wed Jan 22 20:05:26 2014] <bigbluehat>: but that’s likely beyond “goals"
[Wed Jan 22 20:05:37 2014] <awenkhh>: heh a lill' :)
[Wed Jan 22 20:05:46 2014] <bigbluehat>: merger, plugins
[Wed Jan 22 20:05:58 2014] <bigbluehat>: Dirkjan mentioned a couple others this morning
[Wed Jan 22 20:05:58 2014] <awenkhh>: we should take 2.0 as an opportunity to make a
lot of marketing!
[Wed Jan 22 20:06:02 2014] <bigbluehat>: - Get more commit activity, especially in the
core
[Wed Jan 22 20:06:07 2014] <bigbluehat>: - Improve the release process to make it take
less work/time
[Wed Jan 22 20:06:12 2014] <bigbluehat>: ^^ the two not yet mentioned
[Wed Jan 22 20:06:19 2014] <awenkhh>: and ... 
[Wed Jan 22 20:06:21 2014] <bigbluehat>: +1 for more marketing
[Wed Jan 22 20:06:30 2014] <awenkhh>: marekting
[Wed Jan 22 20:06:54 2014] <awenkhh>: I would like to point to a thread I wrote in december
[Wed Jan 22 20:07:05 2014] <awenkhh>: #link http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg29299.html
[Wed Jan 22 20:07:31 2014] <awenkhh>: it was before christmas :) so the reply's have
not been that many ... but some :)
[Wed Jan 22 20:07:50 2014] <awenkhh>: I thought I will repost this as a reminder ....

[Wed Jan 22 20:08:04 2014] <Kxepal>: awenkhh: good one(:
[Wed Jan 22 20:08:40 2014] <awenkhh>: so with these ideas - which have to be worked
on - we have a chance to attract more people
[Wed Jan 22 20:08:50 2014] <Kxepal>: + localized docs for goals 2014
[Wed Jan 22 20:09:26 2014] <awenkhh>: and this finally fits exactly to the goals for
2014 ... see this thread:
[Wed Jan 22 20:09:41 2014] <bigbluehat>: yeah, this list is growing pretty fast. I vote
move it the goals discussion to these ML posts?
[Wed Jan 22 20:10:23 2014] <Kxepal>: bigbluehat: +1 for update the ML thread. we're
just collected some missed bits
[Wed Jan 22 20:10:59 2014] <awenkhh>: bigbluehat +1 for adding it !
[Wed Jan 22 20:11:09 2014] <awenkhh>: cool :)
[Wed Jan 22 20:13:39 2014] <Kxepal>: ASFBot: meeting end


Meeting ended at Wed Jan 22 20:13:39 2014

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/mixed (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message