couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From ASF IRC Bot <asf...@urd.zones.apache.org>
Subject Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting
Date Wed, 15 Jan 2014 20:54:06 GMT
Summary of IRC Meeting in #couchdb-meeting at Wed Jan 15 20:06:20 2014:

Attendees: deathbear, nslater, awenkhh, dch, benoitc, davisp, kocolosk, jan____, robertkowalski,
chewbranca, rnewson

- Preface
- bigcouch merge
  - Info: Cloudant team are busy in Seattle this week nutting out integration between cloudant
code & couchdb bigcouch code
- internationalisation
  - Info: firstly a big thanks to awenkhh for what has been a highlight for me personally,
with the explosion of contributors on the new list -- it's been a truly awe inspiring and
encouraging sign
  - Info: German translations going well (respect to robertkowalski in particular), and janIV
from #asfinfra team big shout out for assisting
  - Info: around 5 people contributing at the moment
- bigcouch
  - Action: kocolosk to discuss feature parity wrt to 1.6 & bigcouch code on dev@
  - Info: some of the current Seattle work is to track single node behaviour doesn't regress
-- more details in coming weeks via JIRA ticket
- rcouch
  - Info: thanks benoitc for not only a huge flurry of commits but also the excellent couple
of updates on the mailing list -- really appreciated!
  - Info: benoitc expects to have the rcouch features merge in place later this week
- continuous integration
- 1.6
  - Action: dch to follow up and ensure JIRA is up to date, email list to ask if we have any
other users out there to help out
  - Info: we have a couple of dragging issues wrt to 1.6 


IRC log follows:

## Preface ##
[Wed Jan 15 20:06:32 2014] <dch>: welcome folks!
[Wed Jan 15 20:06:33 2014] <kocolosk>: topic bigcouch update
[Wed Jan 15 20:06:36 2014] <chewbranca>: ACTION waves
[Wed Jan 15 20:07:03 2014] <dch>: topics so far will be merge(s), maybe awenkhh wants
to say a few words about internationalisation, also 1.6 release cycle
## bigcouch merge ##
[Wed Jan 15 20:07:30 2014] <awenkhh>: topic l10n 
[Wed Jan 15 20:08:00 2014] <nslater>: ACTION wakes up
[Wed Jan 15 20:08:18 2014] <awenkhh>: hi nslater 
[Wed Jan 15 20:08:46 2014] <kocolosk>: OK.  Cloudant has much of its core engineering
team in Seattle this week, and a big part of our agenda is getting our house in order for
BigCouch merge work
[Wed Jan 15 20:09:20 2014] <kocolosk>: We're devoting the bulk of a three week iteration
beginning Jan 27 to executing on that plan
[Wed Jan 15 20:09:36 2014] <kocolosk>: We'll be tracking work in JIRA, of course
[Wed Jan 15 20:09:45 2014] <dch>: kocolosk: sounds great! rnewson alluded to this in
Vienna but it might be worth a note to dev@ clarifying what that means for cloudant &
couchdb also
[Wed Jan 15 20:10:00 2014] <dch>: how can we help then?
[Wed Jan 15 20:10:10 2014] <kocolosk>: And the goal of that iteration is to achieve
a velocity and a workflow that allows for steady contributions going forward
[Wed Jan 15 20:10:32 2014] <nslater>: kocolosk sounds excellent
[Wed Jan 15 20:10:59 2014] <kocolosk>: dch: No specific asks from us at this time, other
than timely responses for any workflow discussion topics that come up (e.g. davisp's thread
about the repo organization yesterday)
[Wed Jan 15 20:11:06 2014] <rnewson>: dch: A lot of the burden falls on us but I've
definitely expressed a hope that the wider dev community can chip in. We have a way to go
before that would be worthwhile and not just frustrating for others.
[Wed Jan 15 20:11:16 2014] <dch>: kocolosk: noted.
[Wed Jan 15 20:11:37 2014] <rnewson>: testing, especially hunting for feature regressions,
will be a thing towards the end of that iteration that everyone can help out with
[Wed Jan 15 20:11:38 2014] <kocolosk>: dch: what sort of clarification would you like
to see on dev@ ?
[Wed Jan 15 20:12:02 2014] <dch>: #info Cloudant team are busy in Seattle this week
nutting out integration between cloudant code & couchdb bigcouch code
[Wed Jan 15 20:13:09 2014] <dch>: kocolosk: Ideally a short paragraph entailing what
that means for your world (repos etc) and how that relates to what's in the bigcouch branch.
I guess finding a way to make it concrete  for people?
[Wed Jan 15 20:13:41 2014] <kocolosk>: dch: thanks, will do
[Wed Jan 15 20:14:28 2014] <dch>: kocolosk:  what we proposed in Vienna was to bring
rcouch & bigcouch branches up to parity with around 1.6, specifically the point rnewson
tagged. Is that then part of what Cloudant are working towards?
## internationalisation ##
[Wed Jan 15 20:15:56 2014] <awenkhh>: last week we had the first translation day scheduled

[Wed Jan 15 20:15:59 2014] <dch>: #info firstly a big thanks to awenkhh for what has
been a highlight for me personally, with the explosion of contributors on the new list --
it's been a truly awe inspiring and encouraging sign
[Wed Jan 15 20:17:25 2014] <dch>: awenkhh: and how did that go? anything you'd like
some assistance with?
[Wed Jan 15 20:17:41 2014] <awenkhh>: yeah it is quite cool to have that many translators
already
[Wed Jan 15 20:17:48 2014] <dch>: e.g. we can definitely make some twitter noise around
the start time to encourage/remind people
[Wed Jan 15 20:18:21 2014] <awenkhh>: around 5 translators said to be around and I guess
we have been four or so ... 
[Wed Jan 15 20:18:52 2014] <dch>: and pootle the translation tool/engine is working
out?
[Wed Jan 15 20:18:53 2014] <awenkhh>: German translations are gin well with hugh contributions
from robertkowalski (hi :) 
[Wed Jan 15 20:19:03 2014] <dch>: ACTION waves to robertkowalski welcome!
[Wed Jan 15 20:19:14 2014] <awenkhh>: yeah pootle is great 
[Wed Jan 15 20:19:25 2014] <awenkhh>: it's super cool to have janIV 
[Wed Jan 15 20:19:29 2014] <deathbear>: robertkowalski yay!! :D
[Wed Jan 15 20:19:30 2014] <awenkhh>: from infra 
[Wed Jan 15 20:19:46 2014] <awenkhh>: he's helping a lot and veeery quick if there are
some issues with pootle
[Wed Jan 15 20:20:23 2014] <awenkhh>: I would like to find a way to motivate the existing
translators even more (not to make stress )
[Wed Jan 15 20:20:32 2014] <dch>: #info German translations going well (respect to robertkowalski
in particular), and janIV from #asfinfra team big shout out for assisting
[Wed Jan 15 20:20:39 2014] <dch>: #info around 5 people contributing at the moment
[Wed Jan 15 20:20:46 2014] <awenkhh>: so I guess we need just some more time :)
[Wed Jan 15 20:21:11 2014] <awenkhh>: I hop the translation day (btw. a cool idea from
jan____ :) ) will help 
[Wed Jan 15 20:21:16 2014] <awenkhh>: hope
[Wed Jan 15 20:21:17 2014] <dch>: awenkhh: possibly pick a specific thing or page or
chapter or file for a given week, and see how that works out? 
[Wed Jan 15 20:21:51 2014] <dch>: awenkhh:  could also publicise the translator of the
week too somewhere.
[Wed Jan 15 20:21:56 2014] <awenkhh>: yeah like that - we already proposed to deploy
the first translations partially when the first chapeter is done
[Wed Jan 15 20:22:15 2014] <nslater>: awenkhh should we cut down on the posts to user@
yet?
[Wed Jan 15 20:22:24 2014] <nslater>: i've noticed a lot are being cross-posted between
lists
[Wed Jan 15 20:22:25 2014] <awenkhh>: and Kxepal (also a big player here :) ) is ready
for help in including the deployment process
[Wed Jan 15 20:22:38 2014] <awenkhh>: nslater what do you mean?
[Wed Jan 15 20:22:52 2014] <nslater>: a lot of translation related emails are going
to the translation list as well as user@
[Wed Jan 15 20:22:58 2014] <nslater>: but that might be an incorrect perception
[Wed Jan 15 20:23:11 2014] <awenkhh>: nslater ah .. no - I do that 
[Wed Jan 15 20:23:28 2014] <awenkhh>: because I hope to atrract more people - mean a
wider audience 
[Wed Jan 15 20:23:40 2014] <nslater>: once people know it exists, we should be careful
not to over-burden the user list
[Wed Jan 15 20:23:54 2014] <nslater>: perhaps a regular reminder to user@, perhaps once
per quarter or something
[Wed Jan 15 20:23:57 2014] <awenkhh>: nslater - hm good point ... ok ... 
[Wed Jan 15 20:24:34 2014] <awenkhh>: so my dream is to have the first translated docs
online with 1.7 :)
[Wed Jan 15 20:25:34 2014] <robertkowalski>: ACTION waves back! thanks!
[Wed Jan 15 20:25:41 2014] <nslater>: dch i am not tracking the discussion closely
## bigcouch ##
[Wed Jan 15 20:26:59 2014] <dch>: #action kocolosk to discuss feature parity wrt to
1.6 & bigcouch code on dev@
[Wed Jan 15 20:27:33 2014] <kocolosk>: I think it would be beneficial to allow code
merges to happen before the clustering layer has full feature parity with 1.6
[Wed Jan 15 20:27:51 2014] <dch>: #info some of the current Seattle work is to track
single node behaviour doesn't regress -- more details in coming weeks via JIRA ticket
[Wed Jan 15 20:28:20 2014] <kocolosk>: if we can ensure no regressions on the single
node deployment, it'll be easier to iterate when we can have specific topic branches for features
that needed to be added to the clustering layer
[Wed Jan 15 20:28:59 2014] <kocolosk>: The fact that the code is on master does not
mean we have to enable that capability in a release
[Wed Jan 15 20:29:11 2014] <dch>: kocolosk: makes sense. I would guess we have a key
decision in the next few weeks on where to start merging rcouch/bigcouch/onetruecouch
[Wed Jan 15 20:29:28 2014] <kocolosk>: Yes
[Wed Jan 15 20:29:46 2014] <rnewson>: with the rcouch merge, it's hard to gauge because
the full ip cleared donation is not yet present in the 1994-feature-rcouch branch.
## rcouch ##
[Wed Jan 15 20:30:33 2014] <benoitc>: well that's why there is a status
[Wed Jan 15 20:30:45 2014] <benoitc>: so i wil have finished to merge features tomorrow
[Wed Jan 15 20:30:49 2014] <dch>: #info thanks benoitc for not only a huge flurry of
commits but also the excellent couple of updates on the mailing list -- really appreciated!
[Wed Jan 15 20:31:16 2014] <dch>: #info benoitc expects to have the rcouch features
merge in place later this week
[Wed Jan 15 20:32:01 2014] <dch>: benoitc: you've also asked for some help testing,
I'm keen to help with that too, but I need to catch up a wee bit on the changes, I'm behind
[Wed Jan 15 20:32:49 2014] <benoitc>: any question in mind?
[Wed Jan 15 20:33:13 2014] <dch>: benoitc: not personally, no.
[Wed Jan 15 20:33:28 2014] <davisp>: benoitc: Do you use node_tool at all yet or is
that just for future stuff?
[Wed Jan 15 20:33:51 2014] <davisp>: My looking at that branch, that's the only thing
I see that's not entirely clear. Everything else so far seems fairly self explanatory
[Wed Jan 15 20:33:52 2014] <awenkhh>: benoitc I started testing half an hour ago as
you requested in your email - results following
[Wed Jan 15 20:33:58 2014] <benoitc>: about the where starting the merge betwen rcouch/bigcouch
and couch, imo one simple way to do it is to create a clean core. then adding features on
top of it would be easy
[Wed Jan 15 20:34:12 2014] <benoitc>: davisp: i am using toi build debs
[Wed Jan 15 20:34:16 2014] <benoitc>: and other packages
[Wed Jan 15 20:34:27 2014] <benoitc>: rpm, solaris and fbsd
[Wed Jan 15 20:34:43 2014] <davisp>: benoitc: Sure, but is there stuff in the Makefile
already or you just have it as a dependency?
[Wed Jan 15 20:34:50 2014] <benoitc>: i am thinking to fork it though to allows couch
to start in front
[Wed Jan 15 20:35:01 2014] <benoitc>: davisp: it's already used to build the scripts
in the release
[Wed Jan 15 20:35:07 2014] <davisp>: node_tool?
[Wed Jan 15 20:35:18 2014] <benoitc>: hrm
[Wed Jan 15 20:35:20 2014] <davisp>: I guess I thought those came from rebar.
[Wed Jan 15 20:35:41 2014] <davisp>: The ./rel/apache-couchdb/bin/couchdb script that
is
[Wed Jan 15 20:35:57 2014] <benoitc>: oh i am seaking from node_package
[Wed Jan 15 20:36:15 2014] <benoitc>: and the scripts in the release are built from
the templates in node_packages
[Wed Jan 15 20:36:22 2014] <benoitc>: not the default from rebar
[Wed Jan 15 20:36:29 2014] <davisp>: Ahh. I must've just missed that connection
[Wed Jan 15 20:36:37 2014] <davisp>: Cool
[Wed Jan 15 20:36:42 2014] <benoitc>: so you have the check of ulimits, and if the vm
is started
[Wed Jan 15 20:37:02 2014] <benoitc>: also allows to patch the vm so ypou can run couchdb
top
[Wed Jan 15 20:37:45 2014] <davisp>: cool
[Wed Jan 15 20:37:48 2014] <benoitc>: next big thing to comeis th eview change anyway
[Wed Jan 15 20:37:57 2014] <benoitc>: which now handle deleted docs
[Wed Jan 15 20:38:13 2014] <benoitc>: i am adding tests thoug
[Wed Jan 15 20:38:18 2014] <davisp>: Sounds good
## continuous integration ##
[Wed Jan 15 20:40:15 2014] <dch>: we've talked about this on dev@ already, and I have
a couple of personal things to tidy up before I restart it, but I should be underway next
week on it
[Wed Jan 15 20:41:07 2014] <dch>: summary so far as as per jan____'s last email, we
have been donated a server that we can use to spin up VMs for testing. I have been working
on extending the Vagrantfile already in couchdb so we can add additional platforms in.
[Wed Jan 15 20:41:28 2014] <dch>: That's not too complicated, just takes a bit of time
to test.
[Wed Jan 15 20:41:40 2014] <jan____>: I’m in the process of giving Christopher Riger
access to hte VMs so he can help with the setuppy bits.
[Wed Jan 15 20:42:14 2014] <dch>: the hard part is figuring out how to track what Erlang/Spidermonkey
versions should be required per branch and how to manage testing them. Currently it looks
like a horrible sparse-ish matrix from hell.
[Wed Jan 15 20:42:20 2014] <jan____>: dch: small correction: we get a server but the
VMs are managed by the donator, we can’t spin them up ourselves, but we can request more
in more and different configurations
[Wed Jan 15 20:42:21 2014] <dch>: jan____: greta!
[Wed Jan 15 20:42:29 2014] <dch>: noted.
[Wed Jan 15 20:42:32 2014] <benoitc>: cool
[Wed Jan 15 20:42:37 2014] <dch>: *great.
[Wed Jan 15 20:43:18 2014] <dch>: nothing further from me on that, except that I hope
making it clear how to add tests to a given OS / distro may encourage wider testing pre-release
than before.
## 1.6 ##
[Wed Jan 15 20:44:15 2014] <dch>: So 1.6 atm feels a bit stalled, but that might just
be me. Should I or others be adding / updating any blocking tickets on jira? 
[Wed Jan 15 20:45:02 2014] <jan____>: dch: not stalled by djc (and kepal) can’t run
the build-candidate script on gentoo
[Wed Jan 15 20:45:11 2014] <jan____>: I can’t reproduce that anywhere else
[Wed Jan 15 20:45:20 2014] <jan____>: and I hve little time this and next week to look
into this
[Wed Jan 15 20:45:32 2014] <jan____>: so if anyone feels like digging in there, please
[Wed Jan 15 20:45:56 2014] <dch>: also personally I've not gotten a working OSX build
in any of the configs I've tried (fast, slow, disk, ram, various erlangs) during 04-replication-large-atts.t
[Wed Jan 15 20:45:58 2014] <jan____>: not stalled == “it is not stalled." -by. "djc
(and kxepal) can’t run…"
[Wed Jan 15 20:46:04 2014] <jan____>: details are on dev@
[Wed Jan 15 20:46:15 2014] <dch>: #info we have a couple of dragging issues wrt to 1.6

[Wed Jan 15 20:46:41 2014] <jan____>: yeah, 04- is irritating
[Wed Jan 15 20:46:46 2014] <dch>: #action dch to follow up and ensure JIRA is up to
date, email list to ask if we have any other users out there to help out
[Wed Jan 15 20:46:56 2014] <kocolosk>: dch: is there a ticket for the large atts test?
 wondering if it's in any way related to COUCHDB-1946
[Wed Jan 15 20:47:00 2014] <dch>: 04- in particular hasn't changed in ages, both the
replicator and the tests.
[Wed Jan 15 20:47:09 2014] <kocolosk>: oh ok
[Wed Jan 15 20:47:38 2014] <dch>: kocolosk: this has occurred to me yes. I am working
on a git bisect to see if there's something useful, but the lag time between failures is very
high (wait a few hours for memory to explode …)
[Wed Jan 15 20:48:00 2014] <jan____>: kocolosk: all info here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1986
[Wed Jan 15 20:48:20 2014] <kocolosk>: thanks jan____ i'll take a look
[Wed Jan 15 20:48:41 2014] <jan____>: dch: the breakage occured after R14B04 (can’t
remember if R15 or R16), I presume the new scheduler highlights a subtle issue we have somewhere
[Wed Jan 15 20:48:53 2014] <jan____>: either in our tests or the replication code
[Wed Jan 15 20:49:40 2014] <dch>: jan____: using kerl & R14B04 I get those erlang
segfaults, need to find a way around that. R15 has the same issue, and I've had all tests
passing last year on that.
[Wed Jan 15 20:50:44 2014] <dch>: kocolosk: thanks for the offer on 1986!
[Wed Jan 15 20:51:02 2014] <kocolosk>: dch: :)
[Wed Jan 15 20:51:15 2014] <dch>: ok looks like that's all folks!
[Wed Jan 15 20:51:26 2014] <dch>: many thanks to coming, and apologies that I am such
a slow typer.
[Wed Jan 15 20:51:49 2014] <awenkhh>: dch thanks for moderating :) well done!
[Wed Jan 15 20:52:00 2014] <dch>: ASFBot: meeting end


Meeting ended at Wed Jan 15 20:52:00 2014

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/mixed (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message