couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Rigor <cri...@rigprog.com>
Subject RE: Interested in Helping with CI
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2013 10:29:54 GMT

Hi Jan,
I signed up at http://ci.couchdb.org:8888. I like to have access to the Jenkins server and
the VMs. Here's my key https://gist.github.com/crigor/c030cad495327bea5944.
Is there a list of items that needs to be done in jira or somewhere else? You mentioned a
few things here. Where can we discuss them in detail?
Regards,
Chris

> Subject: Re: Interested in Helping with CI
> From: jan@apache.org
> Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:29:59 +0100
> CC: dev@couchdb.apache.org
> To: crigor@rigprog.com
>
> Heya Christopher,
>
> thanks for wanting to help out! CI is very important but currently a bit stuck, so any
help is appreciated.

> Aside from what’s documented in the wiki, there are a few new developments that I am
overdue to share with the group, so thanks for nudging me :)

> I am happy to report that a SysEleven, a local hosting provider in Berlin has donated
a rather beefy box to the CouchDB project to be used for CI purposes. The server comes with
preinstalled VMs (see the list below) and we can request further VMs. Management of the VMs
is entirely up to us.

> Initially, Till offered to get some more reproducible and automated deployment &
setup going with Chef & friends but that effort stalled a bit because of technical issues.

> Dave has a new idea for setting that up (I’ll leave it to Dave to fill in the exact
details), that involves Ansible & Packer. We’d need help to come up with a concrete
set up that can be deployed on the VMs and hooked into Jenkins.

> The mid-term goal is to get all this into the hands of ASF infra, but I’d like to get
it all running, so we don’t have to waste their time with setup woes that we can easily
do ourselves.

> I can hand out access to the current Jenkins setup (at http://ci.couchdb.org:8888) as
well as the VMs at request.

> The current VM/OS list is as follows:
>
> ubuntu64-1004
> ubuntu32-1004
> debian64-7
> debian32-7
> fedora64-17
> fedora32-17
> centos32-6
> centos64-6
> fedora32-18
> fedora64-18
>
> We can get more, including BSDs & Windows on request, but I think if we get the above
all running, that’s a good enough chunk of work :)

> In Vienna we talked a bit about how to configure various build matrixes and the current
idea is to use something like .travis.yml to define what combinations of configurations a
particular branch is supposed to build on. Again, I’ll leave it to Dave to go into the details.

I want to help with CI. I've been reading the email archives and https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/CI.