couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: [discuss] couchapp.org down, couchapp.org spammed
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2013 02:33:14 GMT

On Dec 1, 2013, at 1:18 AM, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> And you keep ignoring what I said about the doc. Ie. it is not complete
> (and it must be fixed).
>
> Like stored procedure they are stored. Like  stored procedure they can be
> used in a query. Afaik queries happen on HTTP level in couchdb.
>
> Also "are side effect free and idempotent" = no side effect and idempotent

You can manipulate data inside a stored procedure, you can change values, entire rows, delete
columns, change a column type, you can do whatever you want, even drop a table. A stored procedure
can have side effects, obviously. And you can debug your code.

> You're just ignoring how to use shows and lists and how they are used. Some
> are just using them like a way to handle and merge different sets using
> links and joins. And like many things in couchdb they need to be improved
> in term of performance.

I'm not ignoring anything Benoit, believe me.

> Moving on what exactly? You keep saying we should remove the couchapp
> engine etc.... But the why is still unclear. To be honest it's hard to
> discuss about such topic without knowing what's your business with couchdb.
> Maybe you could clarify that?

For me CouchDB is a database and I use it like a database, storing and retrieving documents,
that's all. I don't need an application server and I don't need couch apps. I like the idea
of stored procedures but I don't find them so important, and like they are, list and show,
are useless to me. They are pretty hard to debug and I don't see any use case for them. I
can do the same with a PHP script.
Performances optimization, joins, the big couch integration, improved replication, a faster
update of the views, a better query server protocol, these are all things matter to me. Show
and list are something I can live without.

> Anyway I am not here to discuss *yet* about that. I am discussing either
> the possibility to discuss it  (and I noted your point) or fixing the
> current issue. Like other suggested they are indeed 2 different topics that
> we can handle in // . Right now the fact is that the couchapp website can't
> be updated and other media not controlled and it's very damageable for the
> community whatever the final decision will be,

Things are correlated. If you all think CouchApp should be part of CouchDB, then shutdown
couchapp.org and include the documentation in the main site: couchdb.apache.org. Else, if
CouchApp is something related, a project built on top of CouchDB, a plugin, recall the ownership
of couchapp.org from the actual maintainer and manage it.

I'm not gonna spend more time on the subject. Please just accept that we can have different
opinions.

Thank you

-Filippo