couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] tag our commits
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2013 16:47:33 GMT
Jason makes a compelling argument.

Let's say you do three commits on a feature branch:

[code] Add foo widget to core
[tests] Add tests for foo widget
[docs] Add docs for foo widget

What do you then use as a commit message when you squash and merge into master?

And let's say we want to accept a pull request on Github that adds foo
atomically. Are we really going to send the person away and ask them
to decompose the commit into many commits, each one with a tag?

I think I've convinced myself that this should, at the most, be optional.

On 4 December 2013 17:42, Jason Smith <jhs@apache.org> wrote:
> While I'm whining about tags:
>
> Tagging is most useful by having multiple tags per target. My blog post can
> be tagged [vacation] [swaziland] [photos] [family], and then later I can
>
> Git messages are forced to one tag. That's unhelpful because commits
> ideally update code, tests, and documentation. A useful tag might be [ui]
> but I could get the same thing by looking at the history of src/fauxton/.
>
> It is marginally useful at a very dear cost: 4-10 characters per commit
> message.
>

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Jason Smith <jhs@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> -1
>>
>> We do this at Nodejitsu and I find it tedious and unhelpful. It's a bit of
>> ceremony with little benefit. For me at least, I never want to see "only
>> [foo] commits" I want to see "only commits in subdirectory foo/". Otherwise
>> I see the commits through `git blame`.
>>
>> That's my opinion, but I am comfortable being overruled.
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I would like to propose that we start to tag our commits. The reasonning
>>> behind that is to distinct easily the changes concerning  the doc, the ui
>>> and the core and filter them immediately and force us to make a change
>>> atomic. So I would like to propose that we tag the commit line with
>>>
>>> [DOC]
>>> [UI]

--
Noah Slater