couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] tag our commits
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2013 17:45:49 GMT
Consolidating my replies to a single email so as to limit mail churn. :)

On 4 December 2013 18:33, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> Having tags force naturally people to[...]
> Having tags force people to[...]

> If the system if it's optional it lost any interest. People that don't want
> to use it won't use it and we will stay with the same soup and meaningless
> commit messages forcing people to read the full change to figure.

Guidelines do not force anything. If something is confusing or people
don't like it, it will be ignored.

> a tag should be related to the feature it patches

I think this sounds like a good idea. But we should recommend that
people tag the one-line comment with any major system that is
effected. But it should not be compulsory to do so.

>> And let's say we want to accept a pull request on Github that adds foo
>> atomically. Are we really going to send the person away and ask them
>> to decompose the commit into many commits, each one with a tag?
>>

> yes. This is a good practice.

This is the opposite of every pull request I've ever seen. (Which is,
admittedly, not many.)

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater