couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Goodall <>
Subject Re: [discuss] down, spammed
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:37:07 GMT
For the record, I think it's important to remember that design docs
are extensible, i.e. couchapp-style tools should also support
'fulltext' (couchdb-lucene), 'spatial' (geocouch), etc members. In
general, that means blindly building a design doc from whatever bits
(js, json, plain text) are on disk. I think both couchapp and erica
handle this already.

I really see couchapp-style tools in a two parts:

1. Project starter. Dumps a typical directory structure to disk
according to some template, e.g. erica's create-app and create-webapp
or couchapp's startapp and generate commands.

2. Pull/clone. Updates a database from whatever is on disk or vice versa.

Would it make sense to provide two distinct tools? The pull/clone tool
might even be the only tool that's included in apache's couchdb
distribution, which is likely to appeal to those who see couchdb as
purely a database and should be easy to get in very quickly.

- Matt

On 4 December 2013 22:11, Benjamin Young <> wrote:
> On 11/30/13, 7:20 PM, Russell Branca wrote:
>> A couple of options for approach would be to formalize the folder
>> definition of a couchapp and list tools known to be compatible
> First parts done:
> erica and couchapp(.py) both support it.
> node.couchapp.js can also support the format if the app.js is setup properly
> via couchapp.loadFiles() for each key.
> can as well:

View raw message