couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] couchapp.org down, couchapp.org spammed
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2013 16:01:56 GMT
On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Filippo Fadda <
filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:

> On Dec 1, 2013, at 4:26 AM, Alexander Shorin wrote:
> > You can do the same with Erlang query server since it has access to
> > all internal functions.
>
> I can do it in PHP inside my Query Server (I already said this to you),
> without the need to investigate the CouchDB internals, trying to find the
> functions to do that. I can simply include ElephantOnCouch inside my query
> server and use it. But I'm not gonna do that, because I can obtain the same
> result with a simple PHP script.
> Should I use ErLang, learning something that is not documented, spending
> days, just to obtain a little performance gain? Who cares!
> You know why Oracle invented PL/SQL, Microsoft created Transact SQL or any
> other RDBMS uses an SQL dialect? BECAUSE THEY ARE SIMPLE!
> The internal functions you are talking about are not even documented for
> christ's sake.
>
> > But I don't think you'd like to shot youself
> > in foot by such side effects by losing all your data (; I even wonder
> > if you really wanted them since it's good practice to have no global
> > state and no side effects for any functions no matter where they are
> > been executed: on CouchDB or inside your program. No state and no side
> > effects guarantees you portability and explicit behaviour. For more
> > arguments follow the functional programming languages - this is quite
> > interesting world, but this is offtopic.
>
> The main purpose of a stored procedure is to elaborate data. The results
> are new data or data changes. You can't do that inside a list or a show, so
> they are not stored procedures. The only way you can do that is using
> ErLang, right? Wow, this is great, same as writing an Oracle stored
> procedure using C and the Oracle undocumented "internal functions". I'm
> sarcastic.

Purpose of the lists are to manipulate results from secondary indexes aka
views. SInce you can join and link inside a view. You have alreayd a lot
without having to access to a db. Like stored procedures in facts (not
triggers).

> There is no point using list and show, unless you are writing a CouchApp
> using CouchDB as an application server. Full stop.

Ypu're wrong about that. Having a way to share data transformations using
the replications amd make it available to all clients whatever their
languages is quite convenient.

Anyway you made your point. I just wanted to clarify this.