couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] couchapp.org down, couchapp.org spammed
Date Sun, 01 Dec 2013 00:18:32 GMT
On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Filippo Fadda <
filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:

> List and show are not stored procedure. We already discussed that Benoit.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Formatting_with_Show_and_List
>
> From the documentation: "Show and list functions are side effect free and
> idempotent. They can not make additional HTTP requests against CouchDB.
> Their purpose is to render JSON documents in other formats."

> Apples are not pears. I'm not buying it, stop selling list and show like
> stored proc. A stored procedure, in general, is not side effect free or
> idempotent.

And you keep ignoring what I said about the doc. Ie. it is not complete
(and it must be fixed).

Like stored procedure they are stored. Like  stored procedure they can be
used in a query. Afaik queries happen on HTTP level in couchdb.

Also "are side effect free and idempotent" = no side effect and idempotent

> > If you just want a database then any KV is enough for your purpose. If
> now
> > you want a DBMS which at least I want, then you probably want a way to
> > store procedures and such to adapt the query language to your needs.
> Guess,
> > what is the purpose of lists and shows?
>
> Not in the way they are. To me, actually list and show are useless. I'm
> sorry, this is what I think.

You're just ignoring how to use shows and lists and how they are used. Some
are just using them like a way to handle and merge different sets using
links and joins. And like many things in couchdb they need to be improved
in term of performance.

> Can we just move on?

Moving on what exactly? You keep saying we should remove the couchapp
engine etc.... But the why is still unclear. To be honest it's hard to
discuss about such topic without knowing what's your business with couchdb.
Maybe you could clarify that?

Anyway I am not here to discuss *yet* about that. I am discussing either
the possibility to discuss it  (and I noted your point) or fixing the
current issue. Like other suggested they are indeed 2 different topics that
we can handle in // . Right now the fact is that the couchapp website can't
be updated and other media not controlled and it's very damageable for the
community whatever the final decision will be,

- benoit