couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Nick North <nort...@gmail.com>
Subject Improving MIME attachment processing in CouchDb
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2013 16:15:04 GMT
Following some earlier email discussions, I'm interested in contributing to
CouchDb to improve handling of MIME attachments, and have some questions
about the philosophy of the current code, to make sure that my changes are
in the right spirit. Specifically the things I'd like to improve are:

   1. Allow POSTing of MIME attachments with a document. There's already a pull
   request <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/91> in for this.
   2. Allow chunked MIME requests, in order to:
   3. Remove the need for attachment lengths to be supplied in the JSON
   document.
   4. Remove the requirement that attachments are in the same order in the
   JSON document as they are in the MIME body.
   5. Improve parsing speed for MIME bodies. I have some small changes that
   speed this up by a factor of about 4 in rough tests and could submit them
   separately if that is useful.

Having looked at the code, my questions are to do with chunked requests,
and whether it would be appropriate to use the existing
couch_httpd:recv_chunked function or not. Is this the right forum for
detailed questions in this area? If not, where is the best place to raise
them? I'm happy to get stuck in to writing the Erlang to make the changes
above but want to make sure that I work in a way that's in tune with the
rest of CouchDb, so am keen to get advice from the experts.

Thanks for your help,

Nick