couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Nolan <peterwno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] couchapp.org down, couchapp.org spammed
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2013 17:55:07 GMT
Hey all,

First off I'd like to say that it's absolutely wonderful that there is such
passion for couchapps these many years later.  The problems that couchapp
has will only be solved if people care to solve em, which we do, so yay!

I think one of the big problems that couch-app has had is haphazardness.
To me, when couch-db and couch-apps were first coming out, it seems that
the community got excited about the prospects that couch gave them, and
everyone ran off into different directions to explore and develop their own
interests.  Unfortunately, we haven't found a way to connect everyones
little bit of awesomeness well.  Everyones little project either matured
into working systems (Kanso for example) while other systems have slowly
withered away.

Personally, what i'd like to see from 'couch-apps'.  is the ability for a
layman to be able to develop websites that use couchdb as the database,
knowing only

HTML
CSS
Javascript
Couchdb

Without needing the following
1) change of operating systems (couchapps should be able to run on OSx,
windows, and 'linux')
2) Without the need to install other 3rd party programs(node js and such).
- all the person should need to write code is a simple text editor.
3) propriety code.  All the code should be open source.  There shouldn't be
any private ownership of code, or ideas, in any form (I think this is the
point Dave was trying to make in his email).

Furthermore, couch apps is going to need a central website that people can
go to for information or to ask for help.  So far, all the help that people
have provided to each other is too scattered amongst a variety of locations
(blogs, websites, email chains etc.), which minimizes the information's
effectiveness unfortunately.  Centralizing all that information would
really benefit the community.

Also, It'd really be nice if the website for couchapp was itself a
couchapp, so people can clone it to their own couch, and be able to show
any suggested features that they think should be implemented.

Lastly, I'd like to thank all of you all for keeping couchdb, and couchapp
alive.

-Pete

--
Peter Nolan