couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Vander Wilt <nate-li...@calftrail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] new underscore namespacing
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:45:44 GMT

On Dec 3, 2013, at 11:23 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, miss the smile, but in every joke there is only a piece of joke (;
>> Anyway there will be collisions since it's old issue about split
>> predefined and custom resources in RESTful apps and prefix is quite
>> common way to solve it with less blood.
>> --
>> ,,,^..^,,,
>>

> but what about prefixing all data in _data? Except if we want to store
> unstructured data in the doc it would work imo.

Relevant to the OP, simply putting document contents with arbitrary fields underneath one
level e.g. "_id,_rev,data: {…}"  should be safe in current versions of CouchDB, the old
wiki at least seemed to be clear that only in "any top-level fields" are underscore-prefixed
fields reserved: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_Document_API#Special_Fields

So if one wants to store truly arbitrary JSON and/or more cleanly separate meta from data
they could [at least according to the wiki] already do so without caveat today in 1.x. I've
filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1952 requesting clarification (preferably
simply a reiteration) of this in the official documentation.

hth,
-nvw