couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Re: tool for management of couchdb design docs/code
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:38:07 GMT

On 12/19/13, 9:57 AM, Vivek Pathak wrote:

> On 12/18/2013 11:36 AM, Benjamin Young wrote:
>> Hey Vivek,
>>
>> Thanks for open sourcing your code!
> You are welcome.  Please invite me to couchapp, and I will help as per
> my capability.

No need for an invitation. Just fork and send Pull Requests. :)

> My vote/suggestion is to get the "requirements and interface" of
> couchapp (tools) improved/tuned with a broader perspective in mind.

Yeah, defining what's actually needed in this space would be a good
first step. Mostly, we all solve the problem in front of us--which,
while "innovative" doesn't really help the group move forward as you
then have to pick from a wide range of incompatible, though innovative,
things.

Having some baseline that we all commonly support helps us build up from
there--and we can keep moving the baseline up as well!

Projects like Mustache and Markdown seem to do this well. There's a
common, shared spec, and people build up from that. Eventually (at least
in the case of Mustache) those innovations/improvements make it back
into the core, or are readily available as "pragmas" (in Mustache speak).

That's my hope here, anyway. :) Innovation that raises tides and
consequently all the boats. :)