couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Vivek Pathak <vpat...@orgmeta.com>
Subject Re: tool for management of couchdb design docs/code
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2013 14:57:03 GMT

On 12/18/2013 11:36 AM, Benjamin Young wrote:
> Hey Vivek,
>
> Thanks for open sourcing your code!
You are welcome.  Please invite me to couchapp, and I will help as per
my capability.

My vote/suggestion is to get the "requirements and interface" of
couchapp (tools) improved/tuned with a broader perspective in mind.

For example if you write significantly complex map functions which use
several "requires" includes, you want to be able to trace history of
changes via version control - and also be able to profile the code and
improve its performance (js is sensitive to how you write the code,
same computation expressed different ways can have big difference in
performance).  Some people felt bad last time I expressed the same (and
sorry for that) - but its just that couchapp did not satisfy my
(reasonable) needs properly, and hence I had to develop the tools which
are now refactored and shared with you as casters
https://github.com/vivekpathak/casters

The other issue is whether the tools should work on a design document
level/database level/or server level.  I chose the first to ensure
strict compliance with the change detection model in couchdb views - but
this is a technical and usage issue which could benefit from discussion...