couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Franck Eyraud <>
Subject Re: Version 1.4 features: Plugin system
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:05:32 GMT

I cross post this since it seems better to follow up on the developers
mailing list.

I started to work from Jan's my-first-couchdb-plugin to adapt the LDAP
feature from chao into a couchDB plugin.

Up to now, I managed to do it, by adding an auth handler.

But in order to develop a plugin, I would need to know where it is
possible to hook to change behaviour.

I'd say that a list of pluggable points of the code, from people who
know very well the couchdb architecture, would be very useful. I didn't
find such resource on the web, and I have the feeling that it doesn't
exist. Would it be possible to have such a list, even in draft version
just to begin. I can then contribute to the documentation to help future
plugin developers.

Up to now I only counted three public plugins, including two real ones :
CouchPerUser, GeoCouch and MyFirstCouchdbPlugin (and the new born LdapAuth)

I would like to know for instance if features that act more deep inside
the couchdb engine, such as the validate_doc_read function, could be
made as plugin ?

Thank you for your help,

On 15/09/2013 14:45, Jason Smith wrote:
> Hi, Aurélien.
> I think LDAP is a great candidate to convert to a plugin. The foundation is
> there however it is still more developer-focused than user-focused.
> Probably the best starting place is Jan's example plugin:
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Aurélien Bénel <>
> wrote:
>> No idea?
>> Any plugin expert out there?
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> In version 1.4, the feature that excites me the most is the plugin system. I
see it as a way to foster innovation on CouchDB, letting people
>>> test unstable features, without having to weaken the core of CouchDB.
>>> However, I haven't found much on the Web about what can be done exactly
>>> as a plugin, and how difficult it is to turn a "feature hidden in some
>>> developer’s git repository" into a plugin.
>>> As an example of a long forgotten (yet needed) feature, let's take the LDAP authentication
handler (
>>> Could it be turned into
>>> a plugin? Would it be easy?
>>> Regards,