couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Vivek Pathak <vpat...@orgmeta.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] couchapp.org down, couchapp.org spammed
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2013 14:34:50 GMT

Firstly, let me thank you all on the great work you have done with
couch.  Thanks.

Secondly, regardless of JChris/domain ownership/personal likings etc;
Is there any possibility of improving (or changing) couchapp (or its
replacement's) functionality?

For example:

1. Javascript stored on the file system must match the javascript stored
on couch (i.e. no including common code through comments in view files)
- this is required if you want reliable version control - and be able to
match each code change with behavior change and vice versa.

2. Support unit test and profiling support (or at least permit them
without having to modify the code managed through couchapp).  There has
been quite a bit of work on unit tests/linting tools etc, and the way
couchapp works makes it difficult to take advantage of these.

Of course these are my desires - and I understand you and others may not
share it.  And you have my apologies in case any of these topics are
discomforting in any way.

I will shut up now.

Thanks
Vivek

On 12/02/2013 05:35 AM, Andy Wenk wrote:
> why don't we stop the discussion here and think about how couchapp.org or
> at least the contents can be maintained further? There are only some points
> to clarify:
>
> - do we (the CouchDB community) want to maintain the contents? Regardless
> if it is "part" of CouchDB or not (this is a never-ending discussion imho)
>
> - who will start to speak with JChris about the domain?
>
> - where do we want to host the domain or contents?
>
> I have a personal interest to keep couchapp.org and / or it's contents
> running because that was my first contact with CouchDB, Benoit and JChris.
> I don't want to see the awesome work die!
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>

> On 2 December 2013 02:50, Vivek Pathak <vpathak@orgmeta.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I agree quite a bit about the coucapp. Hence couldnt help but comment.
>>
>> Couchapp does seem to have quite a few rough corners feel to it - when
>> compared to the soundness of couchdb as a whole (even without bigcouch etc).
>>
>> I have been using a self written tool to push view/list/show code to
>> couchdb from using a makefile for my project.   A sample line from the
>> makefile is as follows:
>>
>> belongs_view:
>>   update_field.py -u $(COUCH) $(DBNAME) _design/ids views.belongs.map
>> belongs.js
>>
>> This pushes belongs.js to key db["_design/ids"].views.belongs.map ,
>> recursively creating any intermediate json objects as needed.
>>
>> It has worked well for me because I get to edit my javascript code in any
>> editor.  And unlike couchapp, I do not need to install a python package
>> (particularly one which does not seem to have heavy community support).
>>
>> The use case for couchapp is mentioned as sharing code between views (
>> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_view_API#Sharing_Code_Between_Views).   At the
cost of adding shared code into common js modules explicitly, I