couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Vivek Pathak <vpat...@orgmeta.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] couchapp.org down, couchapp.org spammed
Date Mon, 02 Dec 2013 01:50:59 GMT
Hi

I agree quite a bit about the coucapp. Hence couldnt help but comment.

Couchapp does seem to have quite a few rough corners feel to it - when
compared to the soundness of couchdb as a whole (even without bigcouch
etc).

I have been using a self written tool to push view/list/show code to
couchdb from using a makefile for my project.   A sample line from the
makefile is as follows:

belongs_view:
  update_field.py -u $(COUCH) $(DBNAME) _design/ids views.belongs.map
belongs.js

This pushes belongs.js to key db["_design/ids"].views.belongs.map ,
recursively creating any intermediate json objects as needed.

It has worked well for me because I get to edit my javascript code in
any editor.  And unlike couchapp, I do not need to install a python
package (particularly one which does not seem to have heavy community
support).

The use case for couchapp is mentioned as sharing code between views (
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_view_API#Sharing_Code_Between_Views
).   At the cost of adding shared code into common js modules
explicitly, I get the convenience of "what you see is what you get" -
unlike the inclusion of code through JS comments in couchapp.

If the overall idea of having a standalone tool is attractive, I can
surely improve it a bit (eg: usage line can improve, etc)  and share
more widely.  It anyway was created under an apache 2 licence.

Thanks
Vivek