couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: [discuss] couchapp.org down, couchapp.org spammed
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2013 22:57:05 GMT
List and show are not stored procedure. We already discussed that Benoit.

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Formatting_with_Show_and_List

From the documentation: "Show and list functions are side effect free and idempotent. They
can not make additional HTTP requests against CouchDB. Their purpose is to render JSON documents
in other formats."

Apples are not pears. I'm not buying it, stop selling list and show like stored proc. A stored
procedure, in general, is not side effect free or idempotent.

> If you just want a database then any KV is enough for your purpose. If now
> you want a DBMS which at least I want, then you probably want a way to
> store procedures and such to adapt the query language to your needs. Guess,
> what is the purpose of lists and shows?

Not in the way they are. To me, actually list and show are useless. I'm sorry, this is what
I think. Can we just move on?

-Filippo