couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] couchapp.org down, couchapp.org spammed
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2013 21:03:32 GMT
On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Filippo Fadda <
filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:

> Alexander,
>
> PgREST is not PostgreSQL anyway, it's a project that uses PostgreSQL and I
> think CouchApp should be the same, maybe a plugin but not a core feature.

But PgRest is only possible if you can store procudure in postgres.
Procedure/functions/list/shows see why you can't simply say that.

> Which are the CouchDB goals? The goals are determined at blastoff time.
> You must ensure the goals are reasonable, attainable, simply stated,
> worthwhile, and carry and measurement, so that you can test the delivered
> product to ensure that it satisfies the goal. If the goal does not have
> these properties, then history demonstrates that it is unlikely the project
> will deliver anything useful.
>
> The goal is used throughout the requirements gathering activity. Each of
> the requirements that you gather must contribute, even if indirectly, to
> the goal. Requirements that don't contribute are not relevant, and should
> be discarded. Purpose of CouchDB is to store data, delivering applications,
> or both? Is the goal to create a database, an application server or both?

You again misunderstood what is a couchapp. couchapps were never only used
to deliver an html apps.

> CouchDB is an open source project, based on the community efforts. There
> is probably someone in charge, right? Who is in charge should discuss with
> the other stakeholders the goals of the product and drive the product
> construction to reach the goals. A product without a goal is not a product,
> it's just a bunch of lines of code. It's really cool that CouchDB can make
> a coffee because someone coded the ability in it, but I'm not interested in
> a coffee machine, I want a database.
>
> This project needs a goal. CouchApp can be part of it or not, I'm not the
> one who decides, but I think it shouldn't. You all know that I'm not the
> only one who thinks CouchDB should be just a cool database, as I know many
> of you, instead, like the idea of an application server. It might be a
> database, an application server or both, but at this point I think it's
> important to decide its goals.

If you just want a database then any KV is enough for your purpose. If now
you want a DBMS which at least I want, then you probably want a way to
store procedures and such to adapt the query language to your needs. Guess,
what is the purpose of lists and shows?

- benoit