couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] couchapp.org down, couchapp.org spammed
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2013 18:42:05 GMT
On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Filippo Fadda
<filippo.fadda@programmazione.it> wrote:
> CouchDB is a database. And IMHO couch apps are something that shouldn't be part of the
CouchDB core. Benoit asked a very simple question and I gave my opinion. I think who matters
should take a position on the subject because I can understand Benoit frustration about the
current status of couchapp.org. CouchApp could be the best piece of software in the world
but my personal vision of CouchDB doesn't include it, because I see CouchDB as a database
and not an application server.

Suddenly, it isn't just a database since 0.9 release when design
functions like show, list and update was introduced. Couchapp isn't a
feature or a part of CouchDB - it's not something physical that could
be removed. It's the way of using CouchDB features to create real rich
applications that are hosted directly by CouchDB and used data of the
related database. This way is based on design functions
(show/list/update/validate_doc_update), views, replication, HTTP API.
You may use these features to create couchapps, you may use this
features in standalone, you may don't, but it's still same CouchDB.

If you aware, the same CouchApp concept (self-hosted application on
top of database) is actively tried to be implemented on top of
PostgreSQL:
http://pgre.st/

this isn't first attempt, but the most recent and more interested. If
people creates such stuff, may be there is really lack of application
server features in popular databases that they trying to fill?
Hopefully, CouchDB has such long ago, out of the box and for any
languages you'd like to use.

--