couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [REVIEW] CouchDB Replication Protocol
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 07:34:53 GMT
Hi Dale,

Thanks for review!

I agree, that there is need high level overview and reduce details.
I'll take pause for few weeks to found good idea how to reorganise
this document. For instance, API reference should be on top of the
document while there shouldn't be too much details about
couch_replicator routines.

But indeed, this is how CouchDB replication works. This means, that by
implementing the same API your peer would be able to handle push
replication and run pull with easy. Otherwise, you're going to break
the protocol.

For instance, you say PouchDB doesn't work multipart/mixed content.
That's might be ok for PouchDB-to-CouchDB replication, but if you run
CouchDB-to-PouchDB it will fail due to lack of such support. By the
same reason it will fail if you don't implement _ensure_full_commit
endpoint.

So, let's say there are two cases: when replication is served by
CouchDB and when it's served by some other app (PouchDB, CouchBase
Lite, etc.) For the last case you both are right: there is no need to
implement all these things to have replication works and you may use
any other CouchDB API to sync the documents. But for the first to have
complete support pull and push replication you should do this
otherwise replication will fall.

I understand now all problems of my document (there is also lack of
BigCouch/Cloudant specific), but where I should draw the line? During
implementation of replipy (test dummy peer in python that is able to
sync with CouchDB, but not host replication itself) I'd hit all these
caveats, details and specifics - that's why I drop both DataProtocol
and TouchDB algorithms. They are simple, but useless to make something
from scratch. So from point of CouchDB you must implement all required
API endpoints and content-type handling. But from point of PouchDB,
CouchBase Lite, Cloudant etc. it seems that you may have different
endpoints and replication will works different from couch_replicator.

So I'm really confused how replication protocol should looks, but I
feel that it must completely describe what happens when pull and push
replication process is served by CouchDB, not by anything else.

But I would be love to see any other ideas since this is just my point
of view on this problem (:

Thanks!

--