couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's start translating
Date Sun, 17 Nov 2013 04:59:05 GMT
Hi Andy,

Inlined

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to let the translators start their work.
>
> As of today, we have eleven languages setup at
> https://translate.apache.org/projects/CouchDB/ . There are around the same
> amount of people, who want to translate. That's pretty awesome imho ;-).
>
> I have clarified the process for adding translators to pootle as users with
> INFRA. A big thanks again to jan I. for setting everything up and for his
> help. I have now admin rights and am able (also Noah) to create users.
>
> The next step would be to create user accounts for the translators form the
> l10n-mailing-list. They will receive an email with instructions to confirm
> the creation of their account. But before that, I want to make sure that
> the created .pot files uploaded to pootle are correct and are usable. I
> created the files from share/doc/src. That means, that the translations
> would result in the translated versions of
> http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/. Here are some questions and discussion
> points:
>
> / we still have not integrated the creation of the .pot files to the build
> process. Is this a blocker? (Note: at this time, I would need help to do
> this)

I think I'll finish working draft for today. But will be need
additional testing.

> / there is no api for uploading (changed) .pot files to
> https://translate.apache.org/de/CouchDB/ . Is this a blocker?

I think this isn't blocker. Annoying, but not a blocker. Hopefully,
major changes have pass, so much likely there would be only new
content and typo fixes / corrections. Last things shouldn't affect
much on translations, even help to find all of them and fix.

> / there is also no api for downloading translated .po files for integration
> into the src. But it is possible to download a zip file like this (from my
> machine at least):
>
> wget -O couchdb-de.zip https://translate.apache.org/de/CouchDB/export/zip

This API is good enough.

> where de is interchangeable with the available languages and the zip
> archive is including all the .po files. Furthermore it is not clear to me,
> if we want to have the .po files in the source at all. I personally would
> integrate them in the way I proposed in another post. What is your opinion
> here? I think Alex started to grab into this already.

.po files in the sources are also grouped by language code, so it
wouldn't be hard to unpack them to the right place. Suddenly, due to
lack of pootle API we cannot list all available languages, but I think
we should have defined list of handled languages within sphinx config
to ship only translations that are ready or at least active.

> / the process for generating the translated docs is not done yet. Here, I
> also need help from someone with more experience in the build process than
> I have today.

Don't worry about this moment, I'm on it.

> / should we start with the translations or does it make more sense to wait
> until we have integrated the creation of the .pot files automatically?

We don't need to wait for this since for now the only thing that
needed is correctly generated .pot files at once. Docs doesn't changes
much from day to day (:

> So as a summary the setup for starting with the translations at
> https://translate.apache.org/de/CouchDB/ is done. But the technical parts
> regarding the build process are not done yet. I appreciate your help in
> this point very much.

I think we'll update
http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/contributing.html article with such
technical instructions for translators: where to start and which tools
to use. I think we could start wiki article about the same as working
draft and after reaching some stable point just push it to docs. What
do you think?

--