couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Mitchell <br...@strmpnk.co>
Subject Re: Plugin Registry (Was Summary of IRC meeting in #couchdb-meeting)
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:15:52 GMT
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM, till <klimpong@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 14 November 2013 at 18:28, Simon Metson wrote:
>
>> Hey,

>> > I'm definitely interested to hear more. I'd love to help out with
>> > getting a common place for contributed couchdb things to be indexed
>> > and published. Plugins seem like an ideal testing ground. How do you
>> > imagine a plugin registry working?
>> >

>> I’m interested in this too. Can we pick up stuff from npm?
>> Cheers
>> Simon
>>

> Please don’t. For starters, a more or less static registry would be awesome. Not databased.

I'm curious how static really avoids the database problem. Are you
saying it'd be better to just pull down a know good URL and that never
changes?

Beyond that, I'm not sure we need to use CouchDB just like NPM does
but it is pretty nice. Maybe fewer document mutations would help
(splitting plugin releases into their own documents could be a good
idea for those running local mirrors).

> Then minor nitpicks like:
>
>  - enforce semantic versions

+1. We should expect plugins to follow the same conventions that CouchDB does.

>  - don’t allow people to re-upload releases

Yes. We could avoid this partly by making releases more like immutable
documents.

>  - make it easy to mirror it

Replication is a natural fit here. There might be an argument for
allowing automated installation via plain-old-HTTP or filesystem
mirrors as well for the cases where people don't want to have to have
a separate database running just to setup their own CouchDB nodes with
private plugins (chicken-egg like situations emerge).

>  - some kind of signature for plugins/verification

+1.