couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Harvey <d...@arandomurl.com>
Subject Re: [REVIEW] CouchDB Replication Protocol
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2013 13:44:21 GMT
Sorry for taking a while to look at this, busy with couchdb conf etc

In general I agree with Jens, this serves as great documentation for how
CouchDB's replication works, but its very detailed without a high level
overview

The PouchDB replicator was done following what Jens documented @
https://github.com/couchbaselabs/TouchDB-iOS/wiki/Replication-Algorithmwhich
was invaluable

Another problem is that its difficult to distinguish between an
implementation and a spec, a session id isnt needed for a pull replication,
revs diffs arent always needed, the details around the HTTP semantics
(especially the multipart/mixed) stuff is not relevant to PouchDB as Jens
mentioned, things like ensure_full_commit are quite specific

I think one major improvement would be to restore the original high level
documentation (as seen @
https://github.com/couchbaselabs/TouchDB-iOS/wiki/Replication-Algorithm or
http://dataprotocols.org/couchdb-replication/) and use the current detailed
sections as additional references

As it is, one problem I can see would be: 4.2.4.1. Verify Peers would
suggest that its impossible to do pull replication if you dont have write
permissions on the database, I am not sure if thats because I am havig a
hard time following the diagram or thats what it is actually saying

Thanks a lot for this work