couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: couchdb pull request: Handle req.status == 201
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:51:00 GMT
"where nothing changed,"

Removing jquery.couch.js will *break* some users. Neither of us know
how many users that is, or which users it is. The major version bump
is necessary to communicate this ("MAJOR version when you make
incompatible API changes"). We can deprecate it without needing to
bump the major, if that's our decision.

A big part of semver is to stop being so precious about version
numbers. It codifies rules for version numbers for the sole intention
of conveying compatibility. You know that if your code works against
X.0.0 then it ill also work against X.1.0 and X.0.1. For example, if
the bigcouch merge didn't change API then we would not bump the major
for it (but we would bump the minor).

B.

On 27 November 2013 12:39, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Simon Metson <simon@cloudant.com> wrote:
>> If the library is getting taken out to be maintained in an external repo why not
just maintain it in the asf one? The reason for deprecating it would be to be honest that
it’s not maintained code, if someone is maintaining it then great, keep it in!