couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: [discuss] couchapp.org down, couchapp.org spammed
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2013 20:50:53 GMT
Alexander,

PgREST is not PostgreSQL anyway, it's a project that uses PostgreSQL and I think CouchApp
should be the same, maybe a plugin but not a core feature.

Which are the CouchDB goals? The goals are determined at blastoff time. You must ensure the
goals are reasonable, attainable, simply stated, worthwhile, and carry and measurement, so
that you can test the delivered product to ensure that it satisfies the goal. If the goal
does not have these properties, then history demonstrates that it is unlikely the project
will deliver anything useful.

The goal is used throughout the requirements gathering activity. Each of the requirements
that you gather must contribute, even if indirectly, to the goal. Requirements that don't
contribute are not relevant, and should be discarded. Purpose of CouchDB is to store data,
delivering applications, or both? Is the goal to create a database, an application server
or both?

CouchDB is an open source project, based on the community efforts. There is probably someone
in charge, right? Who is in charge should discuss with the other stakeholders the goals of
the product and drive the product construction to reach the goals. A product without a goal
is not a product, it's just a bunch of lines of code. It's really cool that CouchDB can make
a coffee because someone coded the ability in it, but I'm not interested in a coffee machine,
I want a database.

This project needs a goal. CouchApp can be part of it or not, I'm not the one who decides,
but I think it shouldn't. You all know that I'm not the only one who thinks CouchDB should
be just a cool database, as I know many of you, instead, like the idea of an application server.
It might be a database, an application server or both, but at this point I think it's important
to decide its goals.

-Filippo