couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Filippo Fadda <filippo.fa...@programmazione.it>
Subject Re: [discuss] couchapp.org down, couchapp.org spammed
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2013 17:58:44 GMT
David,

for me, and I speak just for myself, CouchDB is a database. And IMHO couch apps are something
that shouldn't be part of the CouchDB core. Benoit asked a very simple question and I gave
my opinion. I think who matters should take a position on the subject because I can understand
Benoit frustration about the current status of couchapp.org. CouchApp could be the best piece
of software in the world but my personal vision of CouchDB doesn't include it, because I see
CouchDB as a database and not an application server. You are not gonna change my mind.
Apache CouchDB needs a direction. I'm not the one who decide the way to go, but I'm free to
provide my opinion, I hope. And I think everyone should take a position, since Benoit asked,
using his own words to "clarify this situation and start a real discussion about it and at
the end take a decision". And since Benoit is a veteran with established relations among the
community, it's legit that someone is not comfortable to go "against" him. I'm just asking
an effort for the good, so a decision can be taken.
I don't like your rage, it's totally out of control. Relax.

-Filippo

On Nov 30, 2013, at 6:00 PM, david martin wrote:
> Many people cut their teeth on couchapp (not couchapps), implemented by Benoit.
>
> Many people learned the rudiments of CouchDB and probed the limitations of many things
using the Python based couchapp interface .

> Your views are misinformed and confused by the many imitators of the original concept.
>
> The plethora of half baked imitators and copiers of the original are the ones creating
custom perversions in

> "my fav language of the day fanboi acolyte style".
>
> No one knows the difference between a concept and implementation for last 4 years.
>
> Benoit has even re-written in Erlang (because Python2-Python3 third party mess) to drive
the point home as Erica can be guaranteed to be system and language agnostic as,
> wake up, the core language which is always there is Erlang.
>
> Not JS not Node not lua, not C++ not C# not coffeescript not elixir but Erlang/OTP!
>
> Maybe you should have your own feelings hurt and I certainly will do that if you do not
pull your head in!

> What do you know about what is and is not core to this matter without waiting for a full
and open discussion?

> The contributer list is high for CouchDB with nobody leaving, If persons cannot be bothered
to answer I suggest persons tender
> their resignations and stop allowing spammers to further confuse users.
>
> No response may be a sign of Arterial Sclerosis or death or /commercial conflict of interest/
, or not knowing where anything is hosted  or FUD creators having fun or you confusing them
with more half baked attitudes .

> To say
>
> "I see other members are avoiding your question because they don't want take a position
is a bit premature" don't you think?

> Especially in light of the forthcoming long planned major developments.
>
> I think Jan is too polite and too nice a guy and in too public a position to be other
than a superb diplomat and technology implementor and to do what I would do forthwith, which
is to put the cat among the pigeons and cull the ones that do not move fast enough (pigeons
that is).