couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: start translation of the docs into German language
Date Sat, 12 Oct 2013 15:43:55 GMT
From: Alexander Shorin Alexander Shorin
Reply: dev@couchdb.apache.org dev@couchdb.apache.org
Date: 12. Oktober 2013 at 17:26:49
To: dev@couchdb.apache.org dev@couchdb.apache.org
Subject:  Re: start translation of the docs into German language

>Hi Andy!
>
>I think this is good idea, but it worth only if localized version(s)
>will be synchronized with English one and be always up-to-dated. There
>is nothing worst that outdated docs(:
>
>For localization process it's better to follow Sphinx guide about:
>http://sphinx-doc.org/latest/intl.html
>This approach is different from CouchDB: The Definition Guide, but
>much more friendly and common for translators.
>
>To compile whole documentation just:
>git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb.git
>cd couchdb
>./bootstrap && ./configure
>cd share/doc
>make html
>open in browser build/html/index.html file
>
>Note, that following internationalization guide will require modify a
>bit Makefile.
>--
>,,,^..^,,,

Thanks Andy

+1 to Alex's comments, this sounds like a great idea!

I am hoping some of the other project members have some experience on actually doing this,
as I don't. I can suggest you look through

- the current contribution steps:

    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/src/contributing.rst

- how sphinx is configured:

    http://sphinx-doc.org/config.html
    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/src/conf.py

- and built within couchdb:

    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/share/doc/build/Makefile.am
    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/DEVELOPERS

Unless somebody else in the community has i8ln experience, I'd suggest doing some research
to see how other projects handle this. I bet the python community has some best practice examples
to share.

A+
Dave