couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject CouchDB on Windows Azure
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2013 22:38:08 GMT
There is a resource called VM Depot [1] which provides a community managed repository of freely
redistributable (e.g. Linux) virtual machine images for deployment to Windows Azure. Many
projects are finding this to be a valuable way of reaching potential users and thus developers.
I'd like to help this community get an image of CouchDB on VM Depot.

It costs nothing to publish and store images on VM Depot. To build and test images (or to
deploy a VM from the image) you do need an Azure subscription. Fortunately there are free
subscriptions for users, better yet committers to ASF projects get free MSDN subscriptions
which include enough Azure time.

I'd like to offer my help in understanding what it means to create an image on VM Depot. If
there is anyone in the community that would like to build the images I'd be very happy to
provide whatever guidance and support is needed. Once the images are up there I'd also like
to work with the community to ensure the message gets out there - which is where I should
identify my affiliation. I work for MS Open Technologies, Inc. and am responsible for VM Depot.
As such I can't build your images for you (that just wouldn't scale) but I can help you make
the most of any images that are up there.

If you have questions fire away, if you want to have a crack at creating the first image let
me know and I'll start feeding you the instructions, it's really easy. Essentially:

*       Create a Linux VM (either using a node.js command line or the Azure web portal)
*       Install tour software and any dependencies
*       [optional] install demo's, tutorials, source and anything else you want to include
on the image
*       Deprovision the VM (a single command via SSH)
*       Publish to VM Depot

The whole process takes about 20 minutes plus any project installation time (there are a couple
of periods of waiting for images to copy etc. but this is unattended so doesn't eat into your
time).

Ross

[1] http://vmdepot.msopentech.com