couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Use Influitive to help with marketing
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 15:54:19 GMT
> This system is quite odd and artificial.

I don't understand what is "artificial" about it. Is JIRA also artificial?

We're defining a list of things we would like help with, and then inviting
people to help us with them. There's nothing artificial about that. We're
not asking people to say or do things they don't believe in. We won't be
asking people to write fake reviews. We will be asking people to review us
honestly. (For example.)

> Plus, who will choose these items?

Us! :)

Well, initially me. But if you wanna help out, just help out. We will have
full control.

> Why not simply having a TODO list, aka roadmap in which people can simply
pick an item on which  they think they can can help?

That's exactly what I'm proposing! :) That's what Influitive helps us with.

JIRA is a good TODO list for the code, and Influtive will make a good TODO
list for marketing activities. Different tools to suit different parts of
the project.

> There is something really odd an artificial in giving a reward to do such
thing

Unusual for an open source project, maybe. But not unusual for a company.
So it's an experiment, I guess. Perhaps it works, perhaps it doesn't.
There's no worry here. If it doesn't work, we just stop using it. And I
will find another tool that does.

There is an ulterior motive here for me wanting to reward our passionate
users with t-shirts, and swag. People wearing CouchDB t-shirts are like
walking billboards. Free advertising!

But for the RT stuff, or even just #FF, I think it's nice to recognise
people who contribute to the project. I mean, really, we should be doing
that with patches, and code. and stuff too!

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater