couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Use Influitive to help with marketing
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2013 15:20:36 GMT
Okay, some answers:

- How to ensure this reward system is optional?

I think we can experiment with the reward system. The default is just to
award points for completing tasks. So you can have leader-boards within
Influitive, and you can see who has the most points, etc.

What we do with those points is how we experiment. I think the first step
should be to offer some sort of public thanks, as I outline in my proposal.
Even a Twitter #FF would go a long way, I think.

Secondly, I think we should experiment with allow people to exchange points
for swag. Perhaps this will be received positively, perhaps some people
will complain. If it causes a problem, we remove it.

- How to ensure that people that not participate do not feel unconsidered
by other members of the community because not rewarded by the Influtive
system?

I think you're right: we should recognise people who help out on JIRA, and
on the mailing lists, and so on. I think that's a worthwhile discussion to
have, but I don't think it blocks this work. In fact, perhaps we can look
at what works for Influitive, and then try to replicate that in other parts
of the project.

So, for example, if the Twitter promotion, or blog mentions, really work,
and people like them, then perhaps in a few months, we have a conversation
about how to do the same sort of thing for people who contribute in other
ways.

The same can be said for swag too. Assuming I even find a budget for this
(which I may not be able to do) then presumably we can extend that and say
thank you to other people with a t-shirt too. (Actually, recently, Cloudant
very kindly sent a t-shirt to committers at my suggestion. So that is one
example of this. I assume you got yours, Benoit? I've been wearing mine!)

I think it's important to consider the different types of people we're
talking about here. As a core contributor, I really don't feel like I need
to be rewarded for my contributions. The community is enough of a reward
for me.

But Influtive is targeting people who may only be on the peripheries.
People who have used CouchDB, love it, and will jump at the opportunity to
help out by telling their network about their experiences. And for that,
sending them a pack of CouchDB stickers, or whatever, makes obvious sense.
We're trying to mobilise a volunteer workforce of people who will promote
us! So let's give them the swag to do that!

In fact, we might want to use that as a metric for what we give out. We
could say, okay, we're only gonna give out swag that has some promotional
value to the project. So in a way, it an extension of the initiative
itself. People who are interested in marketing and promoting CouchDB will
be rewarded with shipments of stickers, keyrings, etc, to help them with
that. Perfect!

- What will define the success or failure of the experimentation?  What is
the deadline of the experimentation?

With something like this, I think the success of failure has to be measured
qualitatively.

So we could look at a number of things:

* What has the take-up been like? Are many people using it?
* What has been the reaction to the programme within the community? Do
people feel positively about it?
* What has been the reaction to the programme outside of our community? Has
it engaged people or attracted new users? Is it seen favourably by other
people?

Note also that Influtive themselves will be keeping a very close eye on the
experiment, because obviously, it is important to them that the experiment
is a success. So if it's not working out, we may not have a choice in the
matter.

I'd say, let's run the experiment for three months, and then review. Then
again in another three months.

Are you happy with that?

--
Noah Slater