couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB on Windows Azure
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:53:46 GMT
Thanks for the invite Ross!

Unless there's any other takers, I will look into this next week.

A+
Dave

On 8 October 2013 00:38, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)
<Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com> wrote:
> There is a resource called VM Depot [1] which provides a community managed repository
of freely redistributable (e.g. Linux) virtual machine images for deployment to Windows Azure.
Many projects are finding this to be a valuable way of reaching potential users and thus developers.
I'd like to help this community get an image of CouchDB on VM Depot.

> It costs nothing to publish and store images on VM Depot. To build and test images (or
to deploy a VM from the image) you do need an Azure subscription. Fortunately there are free
subscriptions for users, better yet committers to ASF projects get free MSDN subscriptions
which include enough Azure time.

> I'd like to offer my help in understanding what it means to create an image on VM Depot.
If there is anyone in the community that would like to build the images I'd be very happy
to provide whatever guidance and support is needed. Once the images are up there I'd also
like to work with the community to ensure the message gets out there - which is where I should
identify my affiliation. I work for MS Open Technologies, Inc. and am responsible for VM Depot.
As such I can't build your images for you (that just wouldn't scale) but I can help you make
the most of any images that are up there.

> If you have questions fire away, if you want to have a crack at creating the first image
let me know and I'll start feeding you the instructions, it's really easy. Essentially:

> *       Create a Linux VM (either using a node.js command line or the Azure web portal)
> *       Install tour software and any dependencies
> *       [optional] install demo's, tutorials, source and anything else you want to include
on the image
> *       Deprovision the VM (a single command via SSH)
> *       Publish to VM Depot
>

> The whole process takes about 20 minutes plus any project installation time (there are
a couple of periods of waiting for images to copy etc. but this is unattended so doesn't eat
into your time).