couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Use Influitive to help with marketing
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 15:44:21 GMT
On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 6 October 2013 16:57, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > How does it works on practice (yes, I had watch the videos) and how it
>> > will change/improve current state of things?
>> >

>> There will be a site you can go to to view the current challenges, and you
>> can work on them. Sort of like how you can go to JIRA, and find tickets to
>> work on. The challenges can be created by the community. It's our way of
>> saying "hey, if you love CouchDB and you want to help us out, these are
>> some of the things you could do."
>>
>> The current state of things is that nothing very much happens. There is
>> practically no marketing activity, and no co-ordinated attempts to promote
>> CouchDB. So any sort of improvement or organisation here would be a good
>> thing.
>>

>> > P.S. I feel that I had read post as "Do X for reward, not because you
>> > likes/uses/develops/____ (fill the other) CouchDB". Am I wrong?
>> >

>> This isn't about bribing people to do things. If you're not interested in
>> CouchDB, don't take part.
>>
>> Influtive is a way for people who are already very passionate about
>> CouchDB
>> to co-ordinate with each other and work towards goals that provide a
>> meaningful benefit to the project.
>>

> Hrm this seems a little rude. What about people very passionate and
> interested in couchdb that don't want to be part of such system?
>

>> The rewards system is our way of thanking them for helping out. And as I
>> mention, can be as simple as them earning points in Influtive, and us
>> giving them the occasional shout-out.
>>

> This system is quite odd and artificial. Why do we need to use a carrot to
> encourage someone already passionate? Plus, who will choose these items?
>
> Why not simply having a TODO list, aka roadmap in which people can simply
> pick an item on which  they think they can can help? Using the mail, ml,
> and irc then people could coordinate themselves around the item and let
> other they are working on.

This was for the technical todo. I was also thinking of having a media kit
that people can use for events, website and other.

Fr the RT and co I definitely would prefer it based on the pure
volunteering. While I also think we need to encourage this behaviour I
would prefer to do it by proposing tools to do that easily. In one click.
aka a +1 button, a "share this" link. such thing. There is something really
odd an artificial in giving a reward to do such thing  that makes me really
uncomfortable.

- benoit