couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] tag our commits
Date Sun, 27 Oct 2013 17:05:51 GMT
On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:

> +1 for Benoits proposal.
>
> Regarding "best practices" or "subprojects" mentioned, I would like to
> share what we do at work. We have destroyed the master branch from our main
> applications. Our customer has around 5 bigger releases each year. So we
> started to create the branches, 2013_april, 2013_july, 2013_september and
> so on. These are our "main" branches we create feature branches from.
> Merging is always possible from lower to higher month.
>
> So deriving from this scenario (what is surely different from CouchDB's
> requirements) it "could" be an idea to create three main branches like
> doc_master, ui_master and core_master in the same repository. On the other
> hand, I guess most of the contributors to a git based project expect to
> have a master branch.

mmm would work if we make different release for each components imo (which
isn't bad idea - having a version for the doc and the ui - ). If we go for
this path I would go for a different repo though. no need for submodules
imo, a script that collect the result of each repo during a formal couchdb
release would be enough.

> One thing to mention: please, don't use "submodules" because a lot of
> people do not understand to handle them ;-)

uhu