couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Use Influitive to help with marketing
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 16:55:51 GMT
On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> Okay, some answers:
>
> - How to ensure this reward system is optional?
>
> I think we can experiment with the reward system. The default is just to
> award points for completing tasks. So you can have leader-boards within
> Influitive, and you can see who has the most points, etc.
>
> What we do with those points is how we experiment. I think the first step
> should be to offer some sort of public thanks, as I outline in my proposal.
> Even a Twitter #FF would go a long way, I think.
>
> Secondly, I think we should experiment with allow people to exchange points
> for swag. Perhaps this will be received positively, perhaps some people
> will complain. If it causes a problem, we remove it.

I think we should just make sure to propose the system as an option.
Otherwise such things looks OK for me Sort of achievements like in games in
fact.

> - How to ensure that people that not participate do not feel unconsidered
> by other members of the community because not rewarded by the Influtive
> system?
>
> I think you're right: we should recognise people who help out on JIRA, and
> on the mailing lists, and so on. I think that's a worthwhile discussion to
> have, but I don't think it blocks this work. In fact, perhaps we can look
> at what works for Influitive, and then try to replicate that in other parts
> of the project.
>
> So, for example, if the Twitter promotion, or blog mentions, really work,
> and people like them, then perhaps in a few months, we have a conversation
> about how to do the same sort of thing for people who contribute in other
> ways.
>
> The same can be said for swag too. Assuming I even find a budget for this
> (which I may not be able to do) then presumably we can extend that and say
> thank you to other people with a t-shirt too. (Actually, recently, Cloudant
> very kindly sent a t-shirt to committers at my suggestion. So that is one
> example of this. I assume you got yours, Benoit? I've been wearing mine!)
>
> I think it's important to consider the different types of people we're
> talking about here. As a core contributor, I really don't feel like I need
> to be rewarded for my contributions. The community is enough of a reward
> for me.
>
> But Influtive is targeting people who may only be on the peripheries.
> People who have used CouchDB, love it, and will jump at the opportunity to
> help out by telling their network about their experiences. And for that,
> sending them a pack of CouchDB stickers, or whatever, makes obvious sense.
> We're trying to mobilise a volunteer workforce of people who will promote
> us! So let's give them the swag to do that!
>
> In fact, we might want to use that as a metric for what we give out. We
> could say, okay, we're only gonna give out swag that has some promotional
> value to the project. So in a way, it an extension of the initiative
> itself. People who are interested in marketing and promoting CouchDB will
> be rewarded with shipments of stickers, keyrings, etc, to help them with
> that. Perfect!

The thing is that some people that already help the project without extra
rewards and for any reason (cultural, philosophy, ....) may not want to be
part of a reward system. Witch is their choice but I just want to make sure
they won't be forgotten. Or more exactly that we don't forget to thanks
them. Just because they are outside the metrics. We can continue the
discussion in a separate thread, but that is important for me. Imo just
because some people like achievements and be shown with a badge doesn't
mean we should encourage such system (I certainly not) or rather that it
should be the only system.  If we can have let choice then I am fine.

(Also yes got my shirt, and I thanks them again :)

> - What will define the success or failure of the experimentation?  What is
> the deadline of the experimentation?
>
> With something like this, I think the success of failure has to be measured
> qualitatively.
>
> So we could look at a number of things:
>
> * What has the take-up been like? Are many people using it?
> * What has been the reaction to the programme within the community? Do
> people feel positively about it?
> * What has been the reaction to the programme outside of our community? Has
> it engaged people or attracted new users? Is it seen favourably by other
> people?
>
> Note also that Influtive themselves will be keeping a very close eye on the
> experiment, because obviously, it is important to them that the experiment
> is a success. So if it's not working out, we may not have a choice in the
> matter.
>
> I'd say, let's run the experiment for three months, and then review. Then
> again in another three months.

> Are you happy with that?

Modulo what I am said, yes. One last thing, what is the privacy policy of
such system? Can people easily remove them from it? (to be complete)

- benoit