couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: couchdb internals doc repo
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2013 08:34:44 GMT
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 2:10 AM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > This is good tutorial post about how to start hacking into, but for
> > dev I think we should have some more common and abstract overview of
> > CouchDB code layout.
>
> At the moment, we have no internals documentation at all. IMO adding
> stuff we already have and iterating on it is better than trying to
> hold off on it in search of something better that might take a while
> to create/write/build.

The fact that there is nothing in the upstream repo yet (thanks to forget
the work I started) doesn't imply that we should put anything in the
developer section just because we have it somewhere. The goal of the
Internals section is is to present the internals of couchdb, gernerla
design, solutions choosen, how they are actually implemented. At least this
is what this topic was about.

Then we could have another section in the developer section on how to hack
couchdb and how the source code is actually organised. That another section
anyway, in which I think the doc from Jan perfectly fit imo. And this is
what Alexander implied imo.

Anyway I really think a good doc items should be organised first before
putting anything in a melting pot  and reorganise them after. What makes a
good doc is the ability of the user to find rapidly an information without
having to sort after.

- benoit