couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Use Influitive to help with marketing
Date Sun, 06 Oct 2013 19:53:22 GMT
On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Octavian Damiean <odamiean@linux.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Octavian Damiean <odamiean@linux.com>
> > wrote:

> > > I don't quite understand this question. Nothing I guess, they keep
> doing
> > > what they do.
> > >

> > The question is related to:
> >
> > """This isn't about bribing people to do things. If you're not interested
> > in
> > CouchDB, don't take part.
> > """
> >

> Well, that's also your answer.

no i's not I'm quoting noah.

> carrot
> > items?

> > simply
> > ml,
> let
> > > >

> > > It's about bringing new people to the table, not solely about getting
> the
> > > already contributing member to contribute more. At least that's how I
> > > understand it.
> > >

> > New people will come if they are interested to. Coming for the carrot is
> > not really healthy imo.
> >
> > - benoit
> >

> Well, that's how people work. The system is proven, it's something from
> the gaming world and transitioned over to other parts of our life. Take
> Stack Exchange for example, the system works. It is a completely community
> maintained network (in case you are wondering, StackOverflow.com is part of
> that network).

I disagree. It may be part of your life but It is not part of mine at al
neither it is to a lot of people I value people on their merit and I don't
need to mark someone with a badge to recognise its merits.

Also stack overflow is a site maintained by a private company. I don't see
it as a completely maintained network more as a service a company founded
to make business on jobs and advertising taking advantage of the content
posted by others.

> You don't have to see it as bribing someone to do something but as an extra
> reward for people that do something. Of course everyone should be rewarded
> in one or another way, but that's exactly the point of the system Noah told
> us about.

My point is that you don't need this artificial reward to be recognised.
Working with someone is a good way to recognise him.

- benoit